John D
John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant

In Excel I want to add up a colomn of say "DS" from F4 to

In Excel I want to add up a colomn of say "DS" from F4 to F53 and have the total automaticly in F55. What would the formula be for this? I've tried =SUMIF(F4:F53 "DS") just not sure how it goes.

Hello. My name isXXXXX will be your Primary Care Technician and I can assist you with your question.

It sounds like you are simply trying to add the columns from a set number of rows. If that's the case, the formula is.

I think I understand what you are trying to do

Your formula is basically correct but you need to separate the two arguments by a comma.

Here is the corrected formula

=SUMIF(F4:F53 , "DS")

Hope this is ok. Let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the solution

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
First Answer not what I'm looking for. Second Answer yes what I'm looking for =SUMIF(F4:F53, "DS") No this still doesn't seem to be working. Have tried it several times any suggestions on what could be wrong?

How would I know what is wrong without you giving me any information

Please send me the file and I'll make sure that it gets fixed

You can send the file by going to and uploading it there (no need to signup) then copy the "File ID" number (or the download link) that you will be given and paste it here in your reply.

If the file has sensitive information let me know before you upload it

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, the file ID number is XXXXX

Which corresoinsing column do you want to sum when column F has "DS", or do you just want to count the number of DS's in column F

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Count the Number of DS's please. I wish to do the same for the RR's & V

Ok I have set up three formulas as shown below

Is this what you are looking for

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes that look like it Thankyou

Ok I will set up the formulas now in the adjacent columns. In the mean time you can go ahead and click Accept so I can get paid for my time.

Thank you

John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience: Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant

Here is the file with the formulas in columns F through AK on sheets. If you want to have the formulas on the other sheets as well you can copy each formula to the same cells in other sheets

(make sure to click the blue DOWNLOAD button at the bottom of the download page)

Let me know if you have any questions