John D
John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant

Meging files in microsoft word 7,:

Meging files in microsoft word 7, problem with background color: I opened file1 and copied text from two files (file2 and file3). Text of file1 behaves normal in every way. When I click anywhere in the text that was copied from file2 the background color of the entire text, belonging to the file2, changes to gray. Same thing happens to the text copied from the file3. This is how I copied the two files file2 and file 3 to file1. INSERT -> PAGE LAYOUT -> OBJECT -> TEXT FROM FILE -> select file2 -> insert -> insert as link. Repeated the same process file3. The bakckground color of the the text from file2 and file3 changes in a strang way: The background color of text change to gray but any blank line between text lines remain white. Please help: XXXXX XXXXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX phone: XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Try this and see if it resolves the issue

Select the text in the source file and copy it

Go to the destination file and click in the place where you want to paste the text

Under the Home tab click the little arrow under Paste, choose Paste Special, then choose Unformatted Text

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The file the way I merged, I have modified it extensively. I don't want to waste my one week's work. How can I fix the background color of the text in the file?
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Would you be able to send me the file so I can take a look at the data.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am ready to send a test file I just created. Please click anywhere on page 2 (TestFile 2) or page 3 (TestFile 3) and see what happens.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Ok where is the file link so I can download it

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

John,

I replied to your email and attached the file to my email. Can you access it? It is a tiny file - with just about 20 short lines of text.

I don't know how I can provide you a link. This work is not for a company. It is related to the book I am writing. I don't think I can provide you any link so you could download the file.

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

No we cannot use direct email on this site

Here is how to upload the file

Go to http://www.wikisend.com/ and upload the file (no need to signup) then copy the "File ID" number (or the download link) that you will be given and paste it here in your reply.

If the file has sensitive information let me know before you upload it

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

File Id: 412474

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Ok will check it and get back to you

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Ok these are field codes not regular text.

To remove the field codes, first press Ctrl + A to select the entire document, then press

Ctrl + Shift + F9 to get them back to text

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the solution

John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience: Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

John,

Thank you. The solution seems to be working at this time. I hope the new file is free from any other bad consequences of the merger of files the way I did - the way it was highly recommended on internet.

Sohan XXXXX

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Thanks so much for the accept and bonus. Glad it worked

The sample file that you sent me seems to be ok except for the field codes as explained above. If you think your actual file could have some other issues please send it to me so I can have a look

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I discovered some serious problem with the actual document after I applied your solution (Ctrl + Shift + F9). All figues (shapes), drawn with MS Word 7, have disappeared from the document. It was substantial work. Please help !!!

Sohan XXXXX

Phone XXX-XXX-XXXX

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Hi Sohain

The Ctrl + Shift + F9 command only refreshes the sheet. It does not affect or change any of the data. You must have some corruption in the file that us causing that

If you can send me that file I will be happy to take a look and try to fix it, if at all possible

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi John,

I can't send the original to any outside file. Now I am trying to reproduce the problem after including the shapes. I am still working on the test file.

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

ok

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

John,

I am still trying to reproduce the error (disappearance of shapes after applying Ctrl+Shift+F9) using simple test documents. I am not able to reproduce the error consistently. Sometimes, it happens. Sometimes, it does not. I am still working on it. If you are aware of any limitations on Ctrl+Shift+F9, please let me know.

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Again I need to see the file. If you can send me the file I will check it and see if has any corruptions. You can delete any sensitive information before sending it