Zabo04
Zabo04, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Experienced in Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, and Outlook.
58597962

I an trying to number pages in a manuscript from the third

I an trying to number pages in a manuscript from the third page on. I have delinked the third page from the prior two, but when I add the numbers starting on page three all of the pages are the same number (except for the first two that are not numbered).
How can I number my pages starting from page three? I have followed the instructions from MS on how to do this but I am still gettin all the numnbers the same.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Zabo04 replied 2 years ago.

Zabo04 :

Which version of word are you using?

Zabo04 :

And does your document have section breaks between the pages?

Customer: 2007
Zabo04 :

okay

Customer: It did, but now it doesn't.
Zabo04 :

when you originally added page numbering were all the pages numbered?

Customer: No
Zabo04 :

when you added the page numbers, did you do so by going to the insert ribbon and click on "Page Number" and then some option (right, left, centered, etc.) to add the page numbers?

Customer: Yes, I think so, it was hours ago and I tried everything I could.
Zabo04 :

okay

Zabo04 :

can you send me the word document, you should be able to attach it using the paperclip above the chat entry pane

Customer: I am on my iPad, i will have to go to my computer and do this. Also I have it on a USB so I will have to download it. I did it atvwork and I am now at home. It will take 5-10 minutes.
Zabo04 :

okay

Zabo04 :

it would just be easier for me to walk through it with you

Zabo04 :

instead of guessing a bunch

Customer: Ok
Customer:

ok, i'm on my computer and will upload soon

Customer:

The paper clip is for images not files.

Zabo04 :

usually I can upload the .docx files though

Zabo04 :

you could put it up on wikisend.com and then send me the link

Zabo04 :

that's a free site

Customer:

Attachment: 2012-01-03_004533_role_of_sln_in_esophageal_reflexes.doc

Full Size Image
Ok, it is attached and I need the page numbering to start on page three which begins "I. Introduction".

Customer:

Did you get it?

Zabo04 :

Yes

Zabo04 :

I'm typing up a word document with screenshots for you.

Customer:

ok

Zabo04 :

The first is your word document with the page numbers. The second is the screenshots and a little caption of what I did.

Customer:

ok, let me look at them

Customer:

Ok, but I forgot to mention something. I need the numbers in the upper right. So how do I change that?

Zabo04 :

select the page numbers that are there, then delete them with the backspace key or delete key

Customer:

One at a time or just at thecurrent page 1?

Zabo04 :

while you are still on page 3, go to the insert ribbon, select Page Number, Top of Page, then the left, center or right

Zabo04 :

just on the current page 1

Zabo04 :

deleting from the current page 1 will delete from all other pages, because they are all linked

Zabo04 :

here is a screenshot of the insertion for the top right

Customer:

Ok,l got the numbers in the upper right, but the numbers in the lower right are still there even though I deleted the one on the currect page 1

Zabo04 :

all of mine deleted, so you will probably have to go through and delete them from all the following pages

Customer:

I think I did not click on the return ey beofre, as I tried to agan and clicked the reurn and they are now gon\e.

Zabo04 :

okay

Customer:

All is OK. Thank you very much.

Customer:

So I now click on "accept". I am satisfied, the problem is solved.

Zabo04 :

yes

Zabo04 :

I'm glad I could help you

Zabo04, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Experienced in Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, and Outlook.