Andy, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Experienced in all versions of MS Office Products.
16465236

How do I open a Word 2010 document file that is 680meg in

How do I open a Word 2010 document file that is 680meg in size?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer !! I am Andy and I will be glad to help you out with your issue today.

Please do the following: Rename the file from .docx to .zip. Open it with the Windows Explorer and navigate to the subfolder word/media. There you will find your pictures. Delete at least some of the big ones to get under 512MB.

Rename back to docx and open with Word. Word will display some errors, because it can't find some files, just click Yes to recover the contents.

After that you will find placeholders for the images you deleted. Right-Click on them, choose "Change picture", select (just SELECT!) the picture on your local harddrive (better copy it to a directory under the Word document). Beside the Insert button you will find an arrow, click it and select "Link with file". After that, your file won't get bigger, but you will need the pictures to be beside the Word file.

Let me know result.

If this helped, please click "ACCEPT".

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Andy,

I'm sorry...I'm not computer illiterate but I tried to rename the file from .docx to zip, but it continues to open with Word. I'm missing some thing.

Do I rename it in Win Explorer?

Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.

You do not have to open the word document.

You need to open Windows Explorer .. and navigate to the subfolder word/media. There you will find your pictures. Delete at least some of the big ones to get under 512MB.

Let me know result.

If this helped, please click "ACCEPT".

Andy, Computer Engineer
Experience: Experienced in all versions of MS Office Products.