Cris
Cris, Computer Systems Analyst
Experience:  Over 10yrs experience in Microsoft Office ranging from 2000-2010. Also similar products like OpenOffice.
10156100

My dilemma is this: I am currently using Outlook 2002 version

My dilemma is this: I am currently using Outlook 2002 version on my old dell desktop. I have a new dell laptop with Windows 7 and I would like to use Outlook (I have not purchased it yet). What is the most efficient way and the least expensive to move all my contacts, calendars and e-mail folders from my old PC to my new laptop?

ITCris :

Hi

ITCris :

Thanks for contacting JustAnswer.com I am Cris.

ITCris :

Outlook has a import export feature which allows you to move of your Outlook data from one computer to another or for backup purposes.

Backup Mailbox on Outlook 2003 to a .pst File

1. On the File pull-down menu, click Import and Export.

2. Click Export to a file, and then click Next.

3. In the list, click "Personal Folder File (.pst)", and then click Next.

4. Click the Mailbox and check off "Include Subfolders" check box, and then clickNext.

5. Under "Save exported file as", click Browse

Save the file onto your desktop, when done use a flash drive or external hard drive to move the saved PST file to the new computer.

4. Click the Mailbox and check off "Include Sub folders" check box, and then clickNext.

Save the file onto your desktop, when done use a flash drive or external hard drive to move the saved PST file to the new computer

Improt Mailbox on Outlook 2010 pst. file

1. Click on File then Open, click on Import/Export
2. In the Import And Export wizard, select Import from another program or file option and hit Next.
3. Under File Type, select Outlook Data File(.pst) and hit Next.
4. Click the "Browse" button and locate the the location where the file is saved and select.
5.Once done, finally select the folder to import from(if you want to import complete data don’t change any settings) and make sure Include subfolders is checked. You can either import the file to the current folder or choose the folder

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Cris,
Thanks for your very complete answer. Just one point - does the fact that the version of Outlook that I am currently using is 2002 (not 2003) have any bearing on your anwer?
Bob
No sorry about that. Every version of Outlook comes with import/export feature. You should have no problems performing the task of moving your mailbox data to your new computer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So Cris just so I am clear. I should take these steps in this order:
  1. Buy Outlook 2010 amd install it on my new laptop.
  2. Export all my contacts to a special .pst file
  3. Save that file to some external media
  4. Import the saved file to Outlook 2010 on the new PC

Am I correct? Can I also export and import the existing calendar as well?

Bob

Yes,

Correct you can export the entire mailbox by selecting mailbox tree selection you will see to export data from outlook. Or you can can do each one by one Mail folders, contacts, calendar.

But yes those will be the correct steps.