Ryan B.
Ryan B., Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have experience resolving many microsoft office problems
16548393

I cant get into my M/S word program on my laptop so I couldn

Customer Question

I can't get into my M/S word program on my laptop so I couldn't print a letter I needed. I reset up my old desktop to print the letter and found I can no longer get on the internet with it. Got any suggestions?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  PCDrMiller replied 2 years ago.

On the laptop, click on start -> run and type in winword.exe

That should open word, if not click on start -> computer and browse to

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11, 12 or 14 depending which version you have. Look inside that folder and you see if you can locate winword.exe

If it is not listed there either, you will need to re-install or repair your office installation. If you have the CD you can re-install. If you don't, you can try a repair by going to the control panel -> programs and features (or add/remove programs) and locate your version of microsoft office. Click on your office install, then choose change, and then repair. If it is not listed on the programs list, then it is no longer installed at all.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well this windows 7 is harder than the old one. Believe it or not I can't figure out how the get "start". There's startup but no start.

Sorry, on windows 7 I still call it start, but I am referring to the round orb with the windows logo in bottom left corner that you click on to open programs. If you click on the start orb, then located run right above shutdown, or type winword into the search box and push enter.

Another place to look would be under the start orb -> all programs -> microsoft office

and see if Word is listed there.

If you find it, but it just won't open let me know any error messages you get, also try restarting your computer and try again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Look I'm not a techno geek, I'm and old geezer, therefore if I don't see it I probably don't know where to look for it.

So I went to the big "orb" and clicked on it. my computer doesn't have "run" on it or maybe it does and I'm an idiot.

Too bad you don't have one of those programsd that let's you take over my screen and do it for me.

Sorry, If you don't have run on the start menu, you can open the run box by pushing the windows key (which is just to the left of spacebar and has windows flag on it) and the R key at the same time.

Then type in winword.exe. Or type it in the search box on the bottom of the "orb" program list.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I get a message "cannot find winword".

Ok, if you click on "orb" -> control panel -> programs and features

Do you have microsoft office listed on the programs list? If you do, click on it and choose change, then click on repair. If it is not listed then you need to re-install

--------

or you can download a free trial here.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/try/

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK here's what I have in the control panel

Programs &Features

Systems & Security

Network

Hardware

Programs

uninstall

User accounts

Appearance

Clock

and Ease of access

Note under programs I only have the option to uninstall

That is fine, click on uninstall...it will open up a list of all the programs installed on your computer.

On that list, look for Microsoft Office (and some version info)

Right Click on Microsoft Office if it is there and choose change

Then on the next menu in the program setup, choose repair.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry pal I only have thge option to uninstall. Guess some genius forgot to included it on my computer

You were able to locate microsoft office in the programs list, but when you right click on it the only option is uninstall? That doesn't seem right.

I will have to opt out and let another expert help you. Some experts have the ability to remote connect to your computer and resolve issues like this. In the meantime, please review all the instructions I gave to make sure you have tried all the different ways to open word that I suggested.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well I tried it one more time and got the same result. Very frustrating for you and me, sorry it didn't work out this time
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to further assist you today. Sorry it's taken so long to get an answer to you. When is the last time you were able to access Microsoft Word, also when you try to open microsoft word do you get an error?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I created a letter on Friday but couldn't print it. Then I tried again on Sunday and couldn't access the M/S word.

I get an erroe message now when I try to open the letter file again

Expert:  Ryan B. replied 2 years ago.

What is the exact error message, word for word how is it stated?

If you were able to create a letter on Friday that means word was working well then. Lets try to roll your system settings back to that date.

Click start>Click programs>Click Accessories>Click System Tools>Click System Restore. When the system restore window opens click on "choose another restore point" in the middle and click next. You should now have a list of restore points with dates and times. Click on the one that is on or before Friday and then click next and finish, you may get a prompt click yes. Now your system will auto restore and reboot and Word should open.

Note: Please be sure to bookmark this page as a favorite so you can get back to me and let me know if it works.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Microsoft Word Starter 2010 cannot be opened. Try again or repair product in control panel.

I tried to do a repair in the control panel and got now where earlier.

Expert:  replied 2 years ago.

I know you tried a repair earlier, I saw that when I read the thread. Doesn't look like you tried a system restore like I suggested though. Could you try that.

Ryan B., Computer Enthusiast
Experience: I have experience resolving many microsoft office problems
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK will give it a try again
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Went back to 11/29 and restored......... still doesn't work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Note message above. I have restored to other dates and now have no idea when or where to go back to a particular date. Nothing works.

I think I'll take it back to the Geek Squad at Best Buy and see if they can find then problem

Expert:  Ryan B. replied 2 years ago.
Alright, I am going to opt-out