The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience:  20 years experience providing remote computer support
62934938

I have old files (WPS) that I now need to open but they will

Customer Question

I have old files (WPS) that I now need to open but they will not open using Mic Off 7 or 10. I have tried to download fixes from Mic Soft but they just direct me to sites that want to sell you software. Any way to fix this free?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am Engineer John C., I will be your expert today.

After you follow my solution, please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

Please download and install the Microsoft Works File Converter from here -----> http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displayLang=en&id=12 <=== CLICK HERE

Download and install it

Then open Word, click File, then click Open, find the WPS file and open it. It should work now.

If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button

Thank you

John C.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It did not work
Have you installed the converter after you downloaded it?

Also, what exact error message do you get?

Please click the "Reply to expert" button below to let me know.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I downloaded it and it said it was installed. A file conversion box opens in a word window. asks for text encoding- 3 choices - wind defalt - ms-dos - or other
Do not try to open the WPS file double clicking it. Instead, open Word, then click File, then click Open, then select a WPS file and open it.

Does it work this way?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
they do not show up in the file
OK. Where is the WPS file? on your desktop? or maybe "My Documents" folder?

If the WPS file is on your desktop, just click File from Word, then click Open, then point it to the "Desktop", then open the WPS file.

Does it work?

Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Thank you

John C.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is in my documents
OK. Just click the File menu from Word, then click Open, then point it to your documents folder, then open the WPS file.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I opened a wps file that i saved into mic word. It now has its title then mic word non-commercial use after the title but the page has nothing but a bunch of numbers and letters which are mostly y in Courier New 10.5 font
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
still can not open wps files
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 3 years ago.
My Name is Andrew, I will be helping you toady. If I provide good service, you may ask for The-PC-Guy in your question title for your future needs.

can you upload one of the WP5 files to

www.mediafire.com

simply upload for free to their service, they give you a link after uploading, copy and paste link here.

let me see if I can open it, then I can give you instructions on how to do it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
http://www.mediafire.com/?7k62721vtwovzb5
thats a word doc, I see it wasn't converted properly, can you upload one of the original WP5 files? with the WP5 extension?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing seemed to work. I got so frustrated that I deleted the files and strted over
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 2 years ago.
ok