Let's try something simple.
On the laptop that is not showing content on the sky drive
1. Open One Note
2. Select File/Share
3. Examine settings #2 (share on) and setting #3 (Web Location)
Do they appear to match your expectations of you live account?
Yes - #@ is set to share on web and #3 is set to Windows Live SkyDrive/Documents folder
Let's try 2 things
1.Go to live.com
2. Sign out from all services
2.5 Close all browsers
3. Open 1 note
3. Create a new tab
4. select the ShareTab at the top
5. Select share this notebook
6. where it says already shared on web, click the link; this should have you login and go to you document; if it doesn't go to step #2
7. In onenote, underneath the "This notebook is shared on the web, copy and paste that into an address box in IE and see if it takes you there.
(could be that Onenote completely is using the wrong idea; quickest way to reset this is)
3. Uninstall OneNote
4. reinstall one note
5. When it asks you whether or not you want to sync to the web, make sure you sign in with the same id that functions on the other computer
I hope this works!
The problem with option 2 is:
- before I uninstall and reinstall Onenote, how so I save the notebooks that I have already created?
- given I purchased OneNote as a download - how do I reinstall without a disc (just downloaded an exe file)
You can File / Save As, Save NoteBook to preserve your work.
But since you don't have the disks, let's try this:
After saving your notebook locally, open it from onenote (open file, select the notebook you saved)
1. Then select share (again)
2. Select Windows Sky Drive
you should be able to see on your sky drive where a folder says it was update 'a moment ago'
This didn't work - I need you to give me more specific instructions.
For example - when doing the 'save as' for the notebook - do I use the .onepkg file type or pdf or xps?
I saved as a .onepkg. Then when opening from OneNote locally, do I go into 'open from other location'? I did this and it is giving me different types of OneNote file types to open. I select the .onepkg file I saved and then it asks to 'unpack notebook' with a pathlisted. I then click on 'create' and 'share this notebook' and when I email a link and then click on the link to open notebook in Web browser, I get this message "
This item might have been deleted, expired, or you might not have permission to view it. Contact the owner of this item for more information. "
Ok, i repeated this a few times to make sure.
Do as you did in terms of saving the Notebook as a package (rename it so you are clear).
Then Open the local package from WITHIN onenote
1. Select File
2. (for the recently updated package e.g. package2) select "Share on web or Network"
3. Select the 3rd option weblocation windowslive Sky drive
I missed the step to open it within onenote, my apologies. I do hope this gets you where you need to be. It has worked on my side a few times, and repeating the steps again this morning give me confidence that you will get there as well! :)
No luck - have ended up with the same result. How can I check that OneNote is linked to the right Skydrive?
Well, now that we have it all backed up locally we can do one more thing (and this will answer your question).
Go to live.com and signout of EVERYTHING
1. go to live.com
2. in the upper right hand corner click sign out
3. uninstall one note
4. reboot (if necessary)
5. Reinstall one note
6. When it asks you to hook it up to live.com, enter the same live address that you want to synch with on the other computer
After installation you can then reload the local onenote package you saved before.