patrickdengler
patrickdengler, Other
Experience:  I was a member of both the Windows and Office engineering team's.
62937673

I have put OneNote 2010 on my office desktop and my home laptop,

Customer Question

I have put OneNote 2010 on my office desktop and my home laptop, both with all notebooks to be stored on the web. The notebooks that I created first (office desktop) are showing in my skydrive account, but the notebooks that I created afterwards on my home laptop are not showing up in the skydrive. There are no error messages and the notebooks are synching, but I don't understand where to. Are you able to assist?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  patrickdengler replied 2 years ago.

Customer:

Let's try something simple.

Customer:

On the laptop that is not showing content on the sky drive

Customer:

1. Open One Note

Customer:

2. Select File/Share

Customer:

3. Examine settings #2 (share on) and setting #3 (Web Location)

Customer:

Do they appear to match your expectations of you live account?

Customer :

Yes - #@ is set to share on web and #3 is set to Windows Live SkyDrive/Documents folder

Let's try 2 things

#1

1.Go to live.com

2. Sign out from all services

2.5 Close all browsers

3. Open 1 note

3. Create a new tab

4. select the ShareTab at the top

5. Select share this notebook

6. where it says already shared on web, click the link; this should have you login and go to you document; if it doesn't go to step #2

7. In onenote, underneath the "This notebook is shared on the web, copy and paste that into an address box in IE and see if it takes you there.

Option #2

(could be that Onenote completely is using the wrong idea; quickest way to reset this is)

1.Go to live.com

2. Sign out from all services

2.5 Close all browsers

3. Uninstall OneNote

4. reinstall one note

5. When it asks you whether or not you want to sync to the web, make sure you sign in with the same id that functions on the other computer

I hope this works!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is the message when tried option 1: This item might not exist or is no longer available

The problem with option 2 is:

- before I uninstall and reinstall Onenote, how so I save the notebooks that I have already created?

- given I purchased OneNote as a download - how do I reinstall without a disc (just downloaded an exe file)

You can File / Save As, Save NoteBook to preserve your work.

But since you don't have the disks, let's try this:

After saving your notebook locally, open it from onenote (open file, select the notebook you saved)

1. Then select share (again)

2. Select Windows Sky Drive

you should be able to see on your sky drive where a folder says it was update 'a moment ago'

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This didn't work - I need you to give me more specific instructions.

For example - when doing the 'save as' for the notebook - do I use the .onepkg file type or pdf or xps?

I saved as a .onepkg. Then when opening from OneNote locally, do I go into 'open from other location'? I did this and it is giving me different types of OneNote file types to open. I select the .onepkg file I saved and then it asks to 'unpack notebook' with a pathlisted. I then click on 'create' and 'share this notebook' and when I email a link and then click on the link to open notebook in Web browser, I get this message "

This item might not exist or is no longer available

This item might have been deleted, expired, or you might not have permission to view it. Contact the owner of this item for more information. "

Now what?

You have done all of the things I expected in terms of file type (.onepkg). But let me get very, very specific steps for you and test it a few tmies. I am going to need to set up a few one notes to make sure.

Ok, i repeated this a few times to make sure.

Do as you did in terms of saving the Notebook as a package (rename it so you are clear).

Then Open the local package from WITHIN onenote

1. Select File

2. (for the recently updated package e.g. package2) select "Share on web or Network"

3. Select the 3rd option weblocation windowslive Sky drive

I missed the step to open it within onenote, my apologies. I do hope this gets you where you need to be. It has worked on my side a few times, and repeating the steps again this morning give me confidence that you will get there as well! :)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No luck - have ended up with the same result. How can I check that OneNote is linked to the right Skydrive?

Well, now that we have it all backed up locally we can do one more thing (and this will answer your question).

Go to live.com and signout of EVERYTHING

1. go to live.com

2. in the upper right hand corner click sign out

3. uninstall one note

4. reboot (if necessary)

5. Reinstall one note

6. When it asks you to hook it up to live.com, enter the same live address that you want to synch with on the other computer

After installation you can then reload the local onenote package you saved before.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As I explained, I don't have the disc to reinstall OneNote, I bought it online and downloaded it. How do I reinstall OneNote after uninstalling without the disc? Will I lose the exe file that I downloaded?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also, how do I reload the saved notebooks after reinstalling?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no tried that. I uninstalled OneNote, shut down, then reinstalled (including re-entering the product key), but it just opened the same version that I closed - including all the notebooks and without asking me to enter the live account details. What now?
I am going to have to hand you off to another expert. I am pretty sure I have given you the steps to relate the notebooks to the live ID above, but I am not doing a good job of describing it to you; so I do hope that someone else can jump in and help. I don't want you waiting any longer.