NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.
53509759

Using Microsoft project 2010 Updating a schedule % complete

Customer Question

Using Microsoft project 2010
Updating a schedule % complete as of end of Nov.
When I take a split task that is a 120hr duration to 50% complete it is putting 24 hrs in sept, 0 hrs in oct (we did not work the task in oct),16 hrs in Nov. and 20 hrs in December. We have not worked december hours yet ... can't seem to get all 36 hrs togo into november. This is messing with our reporting to our customer where we provide %complete and hours worked information.

Hope someone out there can help me...
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, still waiting... really struggling with advanced usage of MS project... seems normal training available is too simplistic and need a reasource to assist with advanced functionality such as weightage assignment and reporting.

Hoping there are resources available...

Brian

Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Expert with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for an Expert or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Still waiting...

Unable to solve this yet...

Brian

Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
Hello!

Just so we're on the same page, the info in this MS KB article is too simplistic for what you're trying to accomplish, or does it help? http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/set-working-times-vacations-and-holidays-for-your-project-HA010351554.aspx
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for trying, but this is a totally different topic. Calendars and working hours are set properly, we just cannot control the allocation of hours to a particular time frame where they actually were worked, rather Project is putting them into the plan as it sees fit. We have assigned resources and are entering %complete for the task but MS project is assuming 100% usage of the resource for every tak entered and this is not the case as people do not work a solid 8 hr day dedicated to the task. We cannot change %worked on every individual every day, so we are getting strange results. It is a fairly complex problem and if you are familiar enough with project that you understand, I would be appy to try and resolve by working through details, but it is not something that I think will be readily available in the microsoft knowlede base.

Thanks for your input, I look forward to hearing your response.

Brian

Expert:  Douglas replied 4 years ago.
I'm trying to determine what you've tried and what hasn't worked for you so far.

Have you checked for under and over allocation (see http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/goal-resolve-resource-allocation-problems-HA010231904.aspx)? Tried anything else and if so, what have you tried?