Bernie
Bernie, Office Specialist
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

I am having trouble opening any of my Word documents. I bought

Customer Question

I am having trouble opening any of my Word documents. I bought a new computer in July 2011 and Microsoft Word Starter 2010 was part of the package.
Could it be that it has expired?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for asking your question. My name is Bernie and I will be your expert today.

The Starter software you can use as long as you need, it's not on a trial or anything.

Lets try 2 things:

1. Since this started happening fairly recently, as a first step, lets try this, Click the Windows Start button > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

Follow the prompts to pick a restore date and time before your issue occured. You may need to check the show more restore points box to see more dates to pick. You will not lose any files, see if that works.

2. If not, then there is a tool that will take the Word registry back to it's defaults. This doesn't affect your files, please click HERE.

Scroll down until you see the FixIt button, and click that > Download the Fixit file, then open and run it, and follow the prompts it gives you

After it's done, restart word and see if works now.

Let me know if that clears it up, if not, we will try some other steps
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bernie,

The system restore did not work. I got a message that read "Microsoft Word Starter 2010 cannot be opened. Try again or repair the product in Control Panel." I did not do anything.

I did follow your suggestion for the Fixit button... Right now I am downloading a LONG download. When it is done, I will try a Word doc again.

Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
It's a very small file, please make sure you're downloading the right one

Click here

Run and install that once it's done, restart if needed.

Keep me posted
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am still downloading what the Fixit button started, item #2 above in your first response.

The "small file" you mentioned above, Microsoft fixit 50599.msi, gave me the following message when I tried to run the download: "This microsoft fix it does not apply to your operating system or application version."

Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Click the Windows Start button > Control Panel > Click Uninstall or change Programs > Select Microsoft Office from the list and click change >

Select Repair and click next > When it's finished, try Word again

If that doesn't work:

Click here. On that page, under Operating system, does it say Windows 7?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Well, when I clicked on Microsoft Office from the control panel's program list, the only option I had was to remove it, not CHANGE or REPAIR, so I accidentally removed it.

Now what?

Yes, my OS is Windows 7.

Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
You must use system restore to get back the program, click the Windows Start button > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

Follow the prompts to pick a restore date and time before your issue occured. You may need to check the show more restore points box to see more dates to pick.

If not, you must reinstall windows, I can show you how to backup your files and do that, this will definitely fix it.