flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  degree in comp sci. 20+ years install work with networks for small and large companies
23372949

Can a filled in form (MS Word) be protected with a passwor

Customer Question

Can a filled in form (MS Word) be protected with a password?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 5 years ago.

weshouck :

Yes. Here are the steps to perform what you are requesting: CLICK HERE

Customer:

I do not accept the reply, because the reply is about protecting the fillable form with a password. My question was about protecting the filled in form with a password. Sorry, but the reply misses the point of my question

Expert:  WesPCDr replied 5 years ago.
I'll opt out so other experts can answer.
Expert:  Pieter replied 5 years ago.
Hi

That is possible if you are running Microsoft Office 2007 or better.
Here is the Microsoft guide - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/password-protect-documents-workbooks-and-presentations-HA010148333.aspx

You can also use something like WinZip to compress and password XXXXX it, then let your users email the zipped document.
Anti-Virus companies use this method to receive infected files from customers, as it also encrypts it, rendering it useless without the password.

The very best way, is to use a web form linked to SQL, and then password XXXXX the web page.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can the MS guide for MS Office 2007 or better, also protect forms as distinct from ordinary documents? A typical form has already protection in the sense that a user cannot modify the form, a user can only fill in the fields. Can the protection in the MS guide add the password XXXXX on top of it?

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 5 years ago.

click the logo

then PREPARE

then ENCRYPT

that allows you to put a password XXXXX the entire document.

The user would have to do that on their own at your instructions.

It might be possible to create a macro that will do it and add it to the bottom of the form but i am not going to write that for you as part of this question.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Oh dear, why is it so difficult to explain my question?

First of all, I can read the MS guides and I did read the MS guides. On top of it, I can press the F1 key too. I am already familiar with the steps that the help files provide.

My question has to do with an issue that is NOT addressed in the MS guides/help files/documents, at least not in the ones that I could find.

Let me try again.

When a form designer designs a form, the form is protected from being changed by a user (a user can only fill in the fields) Let's call this the first type of protection.

An ordinary MS Word document can be protected so that a password XXXXX XXXXX to open the document. Let's call this the second type of protection.

My question is thus, can the second type of protection be added on top of the first type of protection? Are the two types of protection compatible? Where in the MS knowledge base is this compatibility documented?

The reason I ask is that I don't want to spend the effort designing a form, only to discover that a user cannot protect the filled in form with a user defined password. Or discover that hidden problems pop up with a feature that is not expressly supported by MS.

Thank you for the patience!

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 5 years ago.

Yes They are totally seperate things. You can protect areas of the form and you can ENCRIPT the entire file. They are not mutually exclusive.

If you would like to be absolutely 100% sure create a very simple form with 1 box and then encrypt it