John D
John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
53785

EXCEL pulldown List: I need to have a pulldown list for a

Customer Question

EXCEL pulldown List (Bonus $50): I need to have a pulldown list for a quote sheet to accomplish the following items listed below. 
1. Pulldown to select from both columns A and B (Product Number and Product Description) on ""Flat Rate Sheet". A single list (only one column). 

2. Sequential Order 

3. Pulldown list will update to included addtional rows as new models are added to flate rate 

4. Autotype function enabled for the pulldown list

I have provided the old quote sheet as an example: Upload via wikisend: ID: 204878 

The New Repair quote excel file has three yellow highlighted cells for additional information. Wikisend ID: 722684

Thanks, Jeff
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jeff,

Which of the two files do you want me to work on and set up the drop down lists in?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The file labeled "New Repair Quote rev 1".

The other one is an example of the current one we are using.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Jeff if by AutoFill you mean AutoComplete then I am afraid you cannot use that feature in Data Validation drop down lists, at least not if you have more than one row of drop down boxes.

As for the rest of the instructions they can be done

Let me know

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm ok with not having autocomplete.

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.
Ok, will try to have it ready this morning
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Ok here is a test file for your review prior to releasing payment

http://www.2shared.com/file/wRrhrCke/New_Repair_Quote_rev_1a_TEST.html

(make sure to click the blue DOWNLOAD button at the bottom of the download page)

The formulas and functions are set up for the first two rows (yellow cells).

Let me know if it is ok so I can send you the full file with all the functions

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

So how did it go?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It needs some additional work.

Issues on the Quote Sheet:
The Product Type should not be a list box. It is dependent on Model Number. (I used "Index, Match function to select the Product Type on the old file).

The Description column should be based on columns I1: N1 of the Flat Rate sheet.

The Model Number pulldown list should be able to allow the individual to select either cells on the Flat Rate sheets in column A and B. (Product Number and Product Description). It also not in sequential order.

Below is how it should work.
Process:
1. On the Quote Sheet I would use the Model Number pulldown list select either cells in the Product Number or Product Description on the "Flat Rate sheet".
2. The Product Type should automatically be filled in (No pulldown). It is dependent on the Product Number and/or Product Description.
3. Using the pulldown for the Description pulldown list. I can select between the following options: Repair, Repair (>10 years), Evaluation, Expedite, Factory Calibration, Z17250 and Upgrade.
4. By selecting one of the cells it will automatically populate the cell for the Ext. Price.

Example 1: On the Quote Sheet.
Using the Model Number pulldown list select "SW5250S-3-0-0". This would automatically populate the Product Type "110 SW".
Using the Description pulldown list select "Repair". This would automatically populate the Ext. Price "$3,260".

Example 2: On the Quote Sheet.
Using the Model Number pulldown list select "CSW5550-208-160" from row 495 from the Flat Rate. This would automatically populate the Product Type "145 CI CSW".
Using the Description pulldown list select "Evaluation". This would automatically populate the Ext. Price "$400".

Look at the second file I had uploaded for an example of how it should work.

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Wow! I have not yet reviewed all your new comments carefully, but I looking at the initial question requirement and the instructions in the file I think I have met the requirements of both (except for the Autocomplete). For that I expect that you release the full payment so I can proceed with the rest of the work. If you do not agree that'sok I will absorb the time I have spent thus far and we will just end it here

Thank you

John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience: Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. Pulldown to select from both columns A and B (Product Number and Product Description) on ""Flat Rate Sheet". A single list (only one column). You failed to provide a single pulldown for both columns A and B.
You provide two pulldowns.

2. Sequential Order. The list is not in sequential order.

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

I have based my work on what "I" was able to understand from your description. It i is your obligation to explain the issues properly so that others can understand it. So that burden really falls on the proponent of the project.

If you explain it in more details I will be happy to modify whatever needs to be modified, but only after I make sure I get paid.

No need to respond if you do not agree

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Thanks (but that was not the full payment that was offered, based on which I took the question)

In the meantime, let's try to understand the first issue. You said"

"Pull down to select from both columns A and B (Product Number and Product Description) on ""Flat Rate Sheet""

How can a single cell have a pull down that can select from BOTH lists. Can you please explain? And which cell would that be?