ehabtutor
ehabtutor, Consultant
Experience:  Bachelor of computer science, 5+ years experience in software development, software company owner
13535664

In Access 2007 I have table with 4 fields: Parent_Id, Child_Id

Customer Question

In Access 2007 I have table with 4 fields: Parent_Id, Child_Id (as auto number), Child_Name, Total_Children. Need help so that Total_Children column will generate the total children for any one specific Parent_Id. Parent_Id field Index is set to (Yes duplicate OK). Child_Id field (Index is set to(Yes - No duplicate), also Child_Id field is the key field. Without having to create a query can I have the answer in the table in the 4th column.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  ehabtutor replied 5 years ago.

welcome to just answer.
It would be my pleasure to help you.

I need you to clarify some stuff, this table is supposed to hold records for children and an id of their parents as i understand. why do you need to keep the count in the children record, this will have the count duplicated in each child for the same parent record.

Also you whenever you add a new child record, you will need to update all children records with the same parent to add to the total children.

what i suggest to do is to move the total children field to the parent table, where you keep the parent id, parent name and total children. in this case you will only update the total once in this record whenever a new child record for the same parent is added.

Hope this clarifies the issue.
If you need any further help, i would be happy to help, if not, please don't forget to hit the accept button so i can get compensated for my effort

Best regards,
ehab tutor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How do I view the answer to my question. Received email that my question has been answered. I have the table open in Access 2007. If the formula or the expression works I am willing to pay $ 38 for the answer.

Expert:  ehabtutor replied 5 years ago.

welcome to just answer.
It would be my pleasure to help you.

Hope this clarifies the issue.

Best regards,
ehab tutor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry I have not been keeping well all day. Please read the following to
better understand what I am trying to achieve:

I have been requested by the local churches to help them create a database
to help them with the Food Distribution to the poor.

Basically all they need is three tables:

1. Client table

2. Child table

3. Visit table

Based on the above three tables I have created Client Master Form, Child
sub form, and Visit sub form.

When a new client comes for food for the first time he or she has to be
registered by entering his or her information in the Client Master Form. If
they have children same is entered into the Child sub form. Also since they
will be given food the Visit sub form is filled out.

If the old client comes in again to pick up the food, we open his record in
the Client Master Form, but the entries are made to his Visit sub form *only
*.

I am having difficulty with the four fields on the Client Master Form

1. Age > field should update based on DOB

2. Total Children > field should update based on the Child sub form >
Parent_Id

3. Family size > total of (Last_Name + Spouse_Name + Total_Children)

4. Total Visits > field should generate the total visits during the year
2011

I can email you the database - see if you can help. I am paying you from my
pocket whereas the churches have no money to pay me. I am doing it out of
good will and for a good cause.
Expert:  ehabtutor replied 5 years ago.
please go to www.wikisend.com and upload the database there. you will then be given a download link and a file ID, paste it here so i can download the file.

seeing the database will help me understand your problem better.

regards,
ehab tutor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have created TOTAL_CHILDREN field on the Client Master Form, what expression should I enter in the Control Source of the Property Sheet?
Expert:  ehabtutor replied 5 years ago.

please i need to see the database in order to be able to help you.

regards,

ehab tutor

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just need the expression of the formula that is to be entered in the control source of the property sheet. I can not upload anything to any website.