Application Specialist
Application Specialist, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Training / Tutoring & Support...all Microsoft Office Applications

I am trying to connect data cells from Microsoft Project Server

Customer Question

I am trying to connect data cells from Microsoft Project Server 2007 to a destination cell on Excel 2007. At first when I do the standard copy and paste special hyperlink data onto the Excel worksheet, the data that is on the Excel worksheet appears to be fine and I can change the dates on the Project and the same thing will happen automatically for the Excel document. At first the link seems stable but the moment I close the Excel document the links break and come up with the #REF! error in the Excel cell. I was wondering if there are different ways to hyperlink the data so it can update whenever I make a change on Project? What programs will I need to do this?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Application Specialist replied 2 years ago.

Application Specialist :

Application Specialist :

I am not very familiar with Project Server. I do know however that the data in Project Server is stored in a Microsoft SQL database. So while you can perform the copy and paste and get a temporary link between the data source and Excel, the prefered way to create a permanent link that you won't have to rebuild every time is by linking to the SQL database via Microsoft Excel's Get external data feature. In 2007 & 2010 you'll find these links under the "Data" ribbon, and then look for the get External Data Grouping. The following link to MS help explains how to do this

Application Specialist :

Bear in mind that you may need to get a network location and possibly user name & password XXXX your network admin in order to connect to the MS SQL database (ie. your Project Server Data)

Application Specialist :

If you connect this way, when you close Excel and reopen it later it will connect to the remote source to update the data in your spreadsheet, and it will update dynamically if you choose to link to the source rather than import it.

Application Specialist :

Please let me know if you have additional questions, and if this answers your question.

Application Specialist :

Thx