John D
John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
53785

I have been having problems with Office 2010 excel and word

Customer Question

I have been having problems with Office 2010 excel and word not opening. It opens the application and does not get further than starting... I have repaired Office 2010 numerous time, I have infact removed and reinstalled Office 2010. After repairing it works for a while. It looks like if I switch my computer off and on again I have the same not opening error again.

Please advise urgently.
Thank you.

Ronwin Bakker
IT - Censeo
South Africa
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 3 years ago.

MichaelHannigan :

Is it currently installed?

Customer :

Yes

Customer :

Yes it is installed.

Customer :

I am confused as to what is happening on this chat. Am I waiting for feedback or is there something else that is required from me?

Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Hi I am another expert on this site and I am sorry for having to wait that long.

Could you tell me what you mean by "... and does not get further than starting... "

What exactly do you see on the screen after trying to launch the program?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What I mean by that is as soon as you double-click the icon it shows starting... then proceeds to load add-ins, processing... etc. I can maybe describe it as the progress bar. I have tried to remove the COM add-ins today. So far so good, I haven't had the problem again. Not sure if that is the solution though.

Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok I still need to know what screen you wind up with when it fails to launch

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I see they refer to it as the Office 2010 Splash screen..

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

No that image did not come through!

The splash screen should go away after a few seconds. What I wanted to know is what screen comes next as your final application window

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That is the problem it does not go futher than the splash screen. The application does not open further than the splash screen with starting.... displayed below the WORD or EXCEL.

??

Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok that is a sign of corruption in some of the Office application files

Assuming you do have the Office product code, try uninstalling Office 2010, then reboot and reinstall it

Let me know

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That was one of the first things I tried. I have Standard 2010. I have removed and reinstalled and repaired numerous times. That does not solve the problem. Like I said I have removed the COM Add-ins today and so far so good.

Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Oh I see. Then you have found the culprit.

Let me know if you need further assistance

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have you had any other 2010 users with this problem? I need some of the Add-Ins like PDF complete. Is there a solution for this problem other than disabling the COM Add-ins?

Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

If you are able to run other add-ins, then the problem is with this particular add-in.

Thank you for clicking Accept so I can get compensated for my time

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately I cannot accept this as a proper answer. I have no problem paying if I was given some troubleshooting instructions at least. As mentioned earlier, I have disabled the COM Add-Ins - PDF Complete is one of them. I need to have PDF complete enabled, but if I enable the COM Add-ins again will I end up with the same error as mentioned in my original question?
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Up to you