uakkab
uakkab, Computer Systems Analyst
Experience:  Microsoft Certified, MCP, MCSD, MCDBA. Cisco Certified, CENT, CCNA A+ Certified Technician Over 10 Years of Experience
49110823

How to I make Excel (2010) data imported into Visio 2010 retain

How to I make Excel (2010) data imported into Visio 2010 retain the Right-justify format of the Excel cell-data?
((In Visio, the Left-justified Icon is dimmed and unavailable to edit the imported data format)).
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.

uakkab :

Good Day, Thank you for using JustAnswer.com, I will be able to assist you with your request.
Please correct me if I am wrong, you would like to import data from Excel to Visio and have the cells right justified, just as they were in Excel.

Customer: No. Cell in Excel is formatted to left justified. After linking to Visio and linking to a shape, the imported text is right justified, and the 'justify' icons do not work.
uakkab :

ok, once you import the excel file into the Visio, It's no longer associated with the original file. Therefore you have to double click on the cells and modify them from within Visio.
If you could send me the visio file,by using insert/edit link icon I can have it corrected.
To link properly, simply highlight any text and click on the icon, and browse to file

Customer:

If you can't describ

Customer:

If you can't describe the steps to formating inside Visio, I don't think sending files would help.

Customer:

You can test by putting few words in Excel cell, left justify. Open Visio basic flow chart select Import.

uakkab :

ok, I am going to do those steps, what version of excel and visio are you using

uakkab :

Excel 2010 and Visio 2007 or VIsio 2003 ?

uakkab :

Visio 2010 as well

uakkab :

If you double click on the tabular data within visio, it will give you option to justify the text. I am attaching two images, first one which is not justified and second one justified.
An Easier way to copy the data is to select the data in Excel that you want to Copy. and within Visio, Goto Home Tab and Select Paste Special(3rd Image)