Viet -MS Office Tech
Viet -MS Office Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer hardware and software support; Windows 8 7 Vista XP; Microsoft Office, etc.
30037186

Hello I get the following dialogue box error message when

Customer Question

Hello

I get the following dialogue box error message when trying to update the Dell Support Center software:
a network error occurred while attempting to read from the the file:
C:\users\Mum\AppData\Local\Temp\nsbEBA8.tmp\PCDoctor_5744.02_bundle_dell_86.msi

(not sure if nsbEBA8.tmp is spelt corectly).

Can you tell me whether this problem is related to the Dell Support Center software itself, or is it due to an update error with Windows Update, please.

NB I have already been in contact with Microsoft Support about a Windows installer problem that is also affecting the laptop (Inspiron 1545, 32 bit Windows system) at the moment, although it's still not resolved yet despits a couple of suggested fixes.

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  JohnTheExpert replied 2 years ago.

John Iacono :

Hi , it's an issue with your temp files. Delete the folder c:\users\mum\appdata\local\temp

John Iacono :

You can delete the whole temp folder. Windows will readd it when it needs it again. Issues can sometimes occur if the same file name is XXXXX XXXXX temp folder or if there is an older version of the file it needs.

John Iacono :

once you delete the temp folder try updating Dell support center again. it should work properly.

John Iacono :

Please accept this answer if it works , otherwise let me know and we can work on it further. Thanks :-)

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Please see answer above and click accept if it worked, so i can relieve credit. thanks again
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello John

I tried deletring the Temp file, as si=uggetsed, but got thr following message after trying to delete via Windows exploerer and allowing the Windows program to proceed when prompted:

'The action can't be completed because the folder is open in another program. Close the folder and try again.'

and also got this mesage even when I closed down Internet Explorer (which was the only other program I was running apart from Windows Explorer). Dell Support Center tried updating itself while I was working on this, and failed - giving the same message as before (as I stated originally) about the network eror with the temp file.

What else can I do, to try and correct the problem?

ok, that seems to indicate the issue is with another application running in the background locking the temp folder.

I would try logging into your computer using safe mode.
how to get into safe mode : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

choose safe mode from the list of safe mode options

now try to delete the temp folder within safe mode. if that works reboot and try updating dell support again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello John

I wqs able to delete the temp file in Safe Mode but, on attempting (twice) to do an update of the Dell Support Center , I still ended up with the same type of error message as before - after the dialogue boxes shown below were displayed. I did not have any other aplicatons running - is it essentially a problem with Windows Installer itself, as every time I boot up I am still getting the Windows Installer dialogue box, staing the feature I am trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available and prompts me to insert the disk for a range (on repeated cancellation of the bdialogue box) of different applications/programs - including Microsoft Office.

Any further suggestions as to what i can do? (I appreciate that this is proving to be less straightforward to resolve.) Would unistalling and re-installing Windows Installer sorftware - if that is a potential option - be worth trying? If so, how do I do so?

Andygraphic

hi, try clicking the link below and then click on the green run now box on the right.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello John

I ran the Fix It tool via the link you provided and - under the Problems awith Installing - clicked one Dell Support Center from the program list; owevr, i still got the same errormesssage about the temp file when Window tried to install the update. The problem with Windows Installer not working (and starting up with the dialogue box prompts when te laptop is booted up, as I referred to in my previous message) is still there!.

i'm sorry , i'll need to opt out. Another expert will pick up the thread to assist you.
Expert:  Viet -MS Office Tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using Justanswer.com.

Please click Start, then type msconfig and press Enter. Then click on the Startup tab and uncheck all the boxes, except your antivirus/security program. Then click on the Services tab and check the box at Hide all Microsoft services near the bottom. Then uncheck all the services, except your antivirus/security program.

1. Click Start, type Services.msc and press {ENTER}
  2. Scroll down, and double-click Windows Installer
  3. Set the Startup type of Windows Installer to Disable
  4. Click OK and restart the computer.
  5. Then do the same steps again, but this time at Startup type, select Manual, then click OK, then check.

If it still does not work, download and save, and save, then extract/unzip the file below and run it and confirm, then restart the computer and check:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/msiserver.zip

If needed, you can go to Start, control panel, programs, programs and features and uninstall Dell Support Center, then reinstall it (but you don't need Dell Support Center program; it slows down your computer).

Please let me know if there is still any issue later; please let me know if it works or not.

Thank you.