Bernie
Bernie, Office Specialist
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

I use Outlook as my primary e-mail, calendar and contacts program,

Customer Question

I use Outlook as my primary e-mail, calendar and contacts program, but I sometimes use Hotmail. Outlook connects with Hotmail for e-mails and my e-mails are fully synchronized between Outlook and Hotmail (e.g., when I send an e-mail in Outlook, it automatically shows up in my sent box in Hotmail). However, my calendar and contacts do not synchronize. How do I get them to synchronize? I have Microsoft Hotmail Live Connector installed on my computer, but it is not causing my calendar and contacts to be synchronized.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for asking your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be your expert today.

Which version of Outlook are you using (Outlook 2003 for example)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

2010

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX should be both ways, but just to test and make sure you have Outlook Connector setup properly, can you click HERE

And make a new calendar event on Hotmail online. Then wait 5 minutes and send/recieve in your Outlook account, then check the calendar, does it show there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I clicked o the link you sent, but that just took me to my calendar in Hotmail. I tried a test entry on my Hotmail calendar and it did not show up in Outlook.

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry for the delay, this means we'll need to reinstall and setup the hotmail connector again. First, could you check the help/about menu in your Outlook and let me know if you're running 32 or 64 bit Outlook (Click the File tab > Help)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am using the 32 bit version

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Please go to this website by clicking HERE

1. Once you are there click the orange download button
2. Go ahead and save the file to your computer, then open and run it
3. Follow the prompts to install the Outlook Connector and set it up again.

Then restart Outlook and see if it now works.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do I need to first delete the connector program that I now have?

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I apologize, actually, you don't want to delete the connector program right now, but I would like to take a few steps before we try to install the new connector.

Are you using Windows XP, Vista, or 7?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Windows 7

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX these steps first:

1. Close Outlook if it is open, then click the Windows Start button > Control Panel > In the upper right search box, type mail and press enter > Click the Mail icon > Show profiles > Add > Type a new name > Press ok > Then press Cancel (don't go forward to resetup the account).

2. It will take you back to the profiles window, in the Always use this profile box, pick your new profile and press ok. Then go ahead and finish with these steps:

3. Go to this website by clicking HERE
4. Once you are there click the orange download button
5. Go ahead and save the file to your computer, then open and run it
6. Follow the prompts to install the Outlook Connector and set it up again. Then restart Outlook and see if it now works.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately, I need to sign off for today. I will try the steps you described in the morning and let you know what happens.

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
No worries, keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am about to try the first step you recommended, but I have a question: is the new profile I am going to be adding the one I will use going forward and, if so, should I delete the exisiting profile?

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
If the new profile works for syncing everything, then yes, we'll want to go with that from now on. But for now we are just testing it, so don't delete the existing profile as it has all your data. Once we see if the new profile works, I will give further steps for getting all your data to the new profile before getting rid of the old profile.

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I went through the steps up to restarting Outlook. When I did that, my computer did not go directly to Outlook but instead I got a screen that says "Microsoft Outlook 2010 Startup". Should I go through that process or is something wrong?

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Go ahead and cancel the Outlook 2010 Startup setup, and once you are directly in Outlook 2010, rerun the Outlook Connector setup file you downloaded and follow the steps listed there again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I cancel Microsoft Outlook 2010 Startup, the screen goes blank and Outlook does not start. What about going back and trying to use my old profile now that Microsoft Office Connector has been reinstalled?

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
My apologies, try it this way, open Outlook 2010 again, and when it asks you to set it up, press next. Then on the next window, when it asks if you want to setup an email account, select no and press next. Look for a checkbox that says continue with no email support, check it, and press Finish.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

A blank Outlook 2010 should now open, and you should get a prompt asking if you would like to add a Hotmail account. Select yes and continue from there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did all that but there are no e-mails or other items in Outlook---it is just blank.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

One thing that concerns me is the fact that I have thousands of e-mails in my Hotmail account. If the new profile syncs correctly, are all those e-mails going to be downloaded, which would take hours?

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Yes, this is true, if your original account was set to save a . Please hold off on making the new account again for now. Aas you suggseted earlier, lets check your original profile:

Click the Windows Start button > Control Panel > In the upper right search box, type mail and press enter > Click the Mail icon > Show profiles > Pick your old profile under the always use this profile box > Press ok > Restart Outlook

Try the account there and see if reinstalling Outlook Connector has fixed this. If not, then you may proceed to setup the new account in the new profile, but please use these directions and absolutely make sure to "Leave a copy of the mail on the server" (item 16 on this link):

http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/accountsettings.htm
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried that and my old profile works, but, as before, there is no syncing with the Hotmail calendar and contacts list. Switching gears a bit, I wanted to see if I can deal with this problem a different way. The primary reason that I am concerned about the lack of syncing between Outlook and Hotmail as to the calendar and contacts list has to do with my cell phone. I used to use a blackberry device, which synced perfectly with Outlook. However, I recently replaced it with an iPhone, which I have not been able to sync with Outlook. Instead, it is synced to Hotmail. I noticed the other day when using iTunes that there is a setting that seems to allow the iPhone to sync to the calendar and contacts list in Outlook. Is that right and would it solve my problem, at least as it relates to my iPhone? Obviously manually syncing through iTunes is less desirable that having it all happen automatically, but it would help.

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I apologize but for now I need to opt out and open your question to all experts again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK. As a reminder for anyone looking at this, the basic issue is that my Outlook program syncs with my Hotmail e-mail but not with my Hotmail calendar or contacts list.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is anybody out there?