HandyAndy77
HandyAndy77, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  10+ years working with MS Office products. 3+ years Work experience with MS Office products.
27572172

I wish to create "hot buttons" in WP to click on and go dire

Customer Question

I wish to create "hot buttons" in WP to click on and go directly to a given PowerPoint chart. Is there a way to do this?
Thanks!
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  elby79 replied 2 years ago.

elby79 :

You can create keyboard shortcuts for commands by following these steps.

elby79 :

From the menu select edit -> preferences, double click on keyboard, click the create button. Type in a name for your new keyboard shortcut. Click the ok button and you will remain in the keyboard editor dialog. In the Choose a Shortcut key box (left) select the short cut keys you want to use. Select play a keyboard script.Click in the text box press ctrl + w to bring up the WP character set window. Find the character set and character you want to assign. Click assign and close then select the assign script button. Repeat the process for new short cuts.

Customer:

Wow, this is extremely complicated! Not sure I understand some of the terminology , but, I appreciate the info. I will give this a try asap.

Customer:

Thanks

Customer:

When you say in the menu, are you referring to the WP menu? I do not find a "preferences" option under "edit."

Customer:

I am a real techno dummy, so I need really basic instruction. :-)

elby79 :

What version of WP are you currently running? Perhaps my instructions were for a different version.

Customer:

WP 12. I have XP5 on hand but have never downloaded it.

elby79 :

Edit is in the upper right hand corner of the screen.

Customer:

My edit button is on the left top, but, when I select it, there is simply no "Preference" selection to make. I have looked and looked but cannot find my "preference" tab.

Customer:

Any further help? I would sure like to be able to do this!

Customer:

I am still waiting for some solid help with my question. Would be greatly appreciated!!

Expert:  HandyAndy77 replied 2 years ago.
Hey there. I'd like to try to help.

What program are you using? what does WP stand for? Word perfect?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, Word Perfect, version 12. I also have Office X5 but have never downloaded it, so if I need to do that I can.
Thanks!
Alright, thanks for clarifying.
Now to clarify one last thing. You want to create "hot buttons" within wordperfect? or on your desktop?
You can easily create shortcuts on your desktop to open a certain document when clicked if thats what your looking for. let me know!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I am looking to create hot buttons within WP, so that I can just click on it and it will then open the PowerPoint directly. I naturally want to be able to toggle back and forth between my WP and the PP's.
Alright. Let me get you those instructions if its possible. I just laoded Office X5 so let me tinker a bit and I'll see if its even possible.
HEy there. Unfortunatly I don't believe this is possible using word perfect. You can link different wordperfect documents to eachother using whats known as hyperlinks. Which allows you to click a piece of highlighted text to open another document.

However when i tried to link a presentation x5 file or a powerpoint file it doens't knwo what to do with it.

Do you have microsoft office 2007 or newer available to you because I know for a fact this type of thing works in that office suite.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do have Office 07 but, I really don't like MSO!!
However, I may have to do that, in order to do what I need.

Can you give me the directions on how to do that in MSO-07?

Thanks so much!
Yes, no problem. It's actually quite easy. Your gonna make whats known as a hyperlink.
Let me know if you need addintional help. The instructions below should assist you.

Create a customized hyperlink to a document, file, or Web page

1. Select the text or picture that you want to display as the hyperlink.
  2. On the Insert tab, in the Links group, click Hyperlink Button image.

You can also right-click the text or picture and then click Hyperlink on the shortcut menu.

1. Do one of the following:
    • To link to an existing file or Web page, click Existing File or Web Page under Link to, and then type the address that you want to link to in the Address box. If you don't know the address for a file, click the arrow in the Look in list, and then navigate to the file that you want.
    • To link to a file that you haven't created yet, click Create New Document under Link to, type the name of the new file in the Name of new document box, and then, under When to edit, click Edit the new document later or Edit the new document now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, this is awesome! Couple of small things.
The process works, but, when I right click, it wants to open the PP file, but, every time it brings up a dialog box that tells me that the site I am asking to open may be dangerous, or something like that.
Is there some way to make sure that this box does not open every time I tell it to open the hyper-link? This is somewhat time intensive, and the way I will be utilizing the hyper-links demands speed.
Your help is greatly appreciated! Just need to fix this little hiccup.
Don K
Hey don,

This is possible to do BUT it is a little more technically intensive. You have to do whats known as a registry edit. I will give you a link which explains the fix very well. just make sure you follow the directions closely and you should be good to go.

Also one edit to Step 1. In windows 7 you'll type regedit in the search bad at the bottom of the start menu and then click on the result that shows up in the list above (icon looks like teal squares)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925757

Let me know if you need more help and if this works for you.
HandyAndy77, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: 10+ years working with MS Office products. 3+ years Work experience with MS Office products.