JohnTheExpert
JohnTheExpert, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I have 6+ years of desktop and network support. I've worked with multiple applications including all versions of MS office.
60084953

Suddenly with Word when I open the program the blank page is not blank but is like an empt

Customer Question

Suddenly with Word when I open the program the blank page is not blank but is like an empty table with many boxes - like an empty crossword puzzle (with no blacked out spaces). If I open a previously created Word document, it opens but appears as if written on ruled notebook paper with regularly spaced horizontal lines. How can I get rid of this?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  JohnTheExpert replied 5 years ago.

JohnTheExpert :

Hi , what version of word are you using?

JohnTheExpert :

Hi , what version of word are you using? ex. 2000, 2003, 2007 , 2010 ?

Customer:

It's Word 2010

JohnTheExpert :

ok, i think you have the "display gridlines" option checked. give me a moment and i'll tekk you how to turn it off

JohnTheExpert :

ok, if you click on "view" at the top of word, there should then be a checkbox for "gridlines" uncheck that box if it's checked and the lines should disappear

JohnTheExpert :

let me know if this worked for you.

JohnTheExpert :

Full Size Image

JohnTheExpert :

i attached a screen shot so you can better see the box to uncheck and the "view"tab you should be in to see the check box.

JohnTheExpert :

Please accept this answer by clicking on the accept button in this chat

JohnTheExpert :

Thanks

Customer:

That was it John. Thanks much. Why didn't I think of that? - feel somewhat foolish, except that Word 2010 is very new to me, after years with Word 2003. HOw I got the display gridlines checked I don't know, but thanks for your quick help. I can stop being annoyed now by this effect.