Val B
Val B, Analyst / Trainer
Experience:  Expert in solving Microsoft Office problems.

I use Microsoft Office Small Business 2007. When working in

I use Microsoft Office Small Business 2007. When working in MS WORD, I find that when I format a word or sentence, e.g. bolding the selected text, the entire document changes to bold type. By pressing the UNDO button, the unhighlighted text reverets back to normal and the highlighted text is bold. THIS IS A PAIN.

It becomes an especially difficult problem if I am formatting within a column when working in tables. Also if I am using numbering, the formatting of the entire document becomes numbered and the text style often changes.

How can I fix this?

Another problem relates to the F4 key, which in the previous version of MS Word was a repeat key. This does not work on this version, even though it should.
What do I need to do?

This can happen when the Style is set to "Automatic update". Please see the following article for detailed instructions

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The link you provided above gives an example in an earlier version of MS Word. I am using Word 2007 and cannot find the "automatic update" mentioned in the link. Question remains unresolved.

Ok you need to that with code

Open your Word document then press Alt + F11 to go to the Visual Basic Editor window. Now press Ctrl + G to bring up the "Immediate" window at the bottom. In that window paste the following command and hit Enter

ActiveDocument.Styles(wdStyleNormal).Automatically Update = False

That should do it

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have an appointment; will try when I return.

If you are not able to change it through code let me know and I'll show you another way

Don't forget to click the Accept button if you found that helpful

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Succeded in finding "Immediate" window and copied the text you provided. This was done while I had the MS Word document open. When I tried to format a heading, I still have the same problem, i.e. the entire document is highlighted.

If what you suggested was successfull, (which it wasn't) would it only apply to the document I had open?

Ok I will send you another method to set this option. But first do you have a tab called 'Developer' on your Word ribbon

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok click the Developer tab, then click the 'Document Template' button then make sure the box "Automatically update document styles" is unchecked

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The box is not checked.

Ok please send me that file so I can have a look

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Attachment: 2011-11-05_003057_just_answer_file.docx

I don't know if this works - I have also emailed the file.

Ok can you highlight the phrase that I highlighted in this screenshot

then press Ctrl + B

It should change only that phrase to bold. Let me if it doesn't

At this point thank you for clicking Accept - that is the only way I get credit for my time

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Clicking control B does highlight, but it is not consistent. If I slect, for example, the heading "Social Sub Committee" in the second column and highlight it, once again the whole document goes bold and some formatting changes.

Once again, I have an appointment and will review your response this afternoon.

Ok but I am not sure how long I have to keep waiting for you day after day like this. Should have wrapped this up in one session.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I agree, but despite the various attempts to resolve my problem, there is still no change. I did not expect to spend so much time.

You have not responded to my statement that the problem remains despite your suggested solution. Do you have any other ideas?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Despite several suggestions, my problem is not resolved. When formatting (bolding a heading for example) the entire document formats to bold. This is corrected by pressing the UNDO button, but this is not a satisfactory solution. Similarly, when I insert numbering, once again every line in the document is numbered and formatting in the whole document changes.

Yes but I am continuing like that any more

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't understand your response above.

Do you mean you have further suggestions, or that like me, you are frustrated by the length of time this is taking.

I have a job that I need to do, just as you do. I am not able to sit for 2 hours or more at a computer non stop - I have an appointment schedule that I need to keep. I'm sorry that there have been interruptions, but that's the way it is.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I think I have found the answer to your problem.

While in your Word document click CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-S to bring up the Quick Styles box.

You will see a list of Quick Styles available in your document. Right-Click the Style titled "Normal", click on Modify, then uncheck "Automatically Update". Close the dialog box and you should be able to highlight only a selection to bold.

The reason is that the "Normal" style is what your document is based on, with the automatically update button is checked every formatting change you make updates the whole document.

I hope this helps and you'll accept my answer.

Val B, Analyst / Trainer
Experience: Expert in solving Microsoft Office problems.