John D
John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant

I want to open 2 word and 2 excel files, size them all to different

Customer Question

I want to open 2 word and 2 excel files, size them all to different sizes, save them then open them and have them come back up exactly in the sizing I closed them...is this possible?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  James K. replied 2 years ago.

knoker1234 :

Hello

knoker1234 :

My name is James

knoker1234 :

Welcome to Just Answer

Customer:

hello back

knoker1234 :

Hi With two Files i dont think this is possiblem Word or Ecxel will take the Size /location of the last File closed

knoker1234 :

so the last file you close Word /Excel will open in that postion

knoker1234 :

Ive just done a few tests on machine with office

Customer:

that has been my experiance too, there is no work around, macro etc. ? I simply cannot beleive I am the only one who works on multiple doc's, opens closes edits ect. and wants to resize/config them each and everytime they access them.......

knoker1234 :

there might be some software give me a few mins ill have a look

Customer:

thx

knoker1234 :

I cant See any but m What i will do is opty of of the question and send it to all the experts , I am Sure of them will have come accros this beore

knoker1234 :

before*

Customer:

Ok. So, you verified my research, at little time or expense, BUT, your time is worth money in any event, so what do you think is fair?

knoker1234 :

no, its not a problem , you can accept when you get an Answer , its fine

Customer:

ok fair enough, keep me in mind, IF you find a solution for me that works, seriously. I 'll give you folks a premium, this is bugging me..;)

knoker1234 :

thanks you will get an Email When expert Responds

Customer:

cool...out.

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Yes there is way to do that in Excel. Let me know if you still need help with this
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes I do john D......
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Ok I will give you the solution for saving the position of 2 files in Excel. If that's ok please let me know which version of Excel you are running

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I work on 2003 xls. I use an win xp box.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Ok thank you

- Close all excel files, then open the first excel file

- Click File > Open, then select and open the second Excel file

- From the menu click Window > Arrange > Vertically

- Adjust the size of each workbook as necessary

- Click File > Save Workspace, then give it a name and save it

- Close all files and exit Excel

- Start Excel and open that newly saved file

You will see both files opening in the same size and location you had them in when you saved the file

Hope this is ok. Let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the solution

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok I just followed your instructions. Thats not exactly what I had in mind BUT it will work.

just to be clear what I was looking for was a way to have them as sperate docs I could alt tab between becasue I need more room that the splt screen gives me, BUT, this will work.

they don't have an option for this in Word do they?

C

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

That is the only way it can work in Excel, and no there is no such option in Word as you cannot open multiple documents in the same instance of Word. That is why I stressed on Excel from the beginning

Let me know if you have any other questions, and thank you for clicking Accept

John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience: Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok then, I will have to live with this and you deserve to be paid, so I will accept.

In any event if you ever have the time and iots possible to do a macro that would allow a similar windows set up, we can work out a price for your time and effort;)

Carleton
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the accept

I can try to write a macro that will open 2 or more Excel files and size their windows to a predefined size. But I need to know the exact size and location on the screen for both files. If you want to do that you can open a new question addressed to me and give it the amount that you think is appropriate for this work (we experts cannot suggest or discuss prices on this site). Again this will be in Excel only