Molinari
Molinari, MS Office Tech
Experience:  Certified IT Guru
16561526

i cannot open windows outlook, please help me .

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  namstech replied 3 years ago.

NA-eTech :

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer!

NA-eTech :

What is the operating system on your computer?

Customer:

window 2007

Customer:

Jacustomer are you there?

Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
Are you getting any error messages?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no, it will not open, when i click on it, the icon fades and show hourglass trying to open
Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
Ok, try this:

Hit the windows key + R (it's in between the alt and ctrl keys) and type

outlook.exe /resetnavpane

Let me know what happens....

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
error message "windows cannot find outlook.exe/resernavpane"
Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
Put a space before the /
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, accepted it, now what do i do?

Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
Did it open?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no
Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
Ok, see if it opens with a different account:

1. go to Control Panel-> Mail-> button Show Profiles…
    If you are using a 64-bit edition of Windows;
    go to Control Panel-> Additional Options-> View 32-bit Control Panel Items-> Mail-> button Show Profiles…
  2. press the button Add…
    • Do NOT use Copy… not even when you want to recreate your mail profile or you’ll end up copying the corruption as well
    • Do NOT delete your old profile, not even when it is corrupted, before you verified that the new one works. You might want to lookup some account settings afterwards
  3. Enter a name for your profile
  4. Select to add a new mail account
  5. Make sure you choose the correct account type. Ask your ISP or administrator if you do not know this.
    If you are using Live Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo or AOL, you can find the settings you need here.
    In Outlook 2007 you can simply type your desired display name, email address and password XXXXX Outlook will try to determine and configure your account automatically. If this fails you can still choose to configure it manually with the information provided by your ISP.
  6. Follow on-screen instructions to (further) configure your account. Again; Ask your ISP or administrator if you do not know these details.
mailprofiles

Let me know if you run into any trouble...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
control panel to "mail" ???
Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
What version of windows is it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

control panel to "mail" ???

I got to my internet accounts - email settings, is there something that i can do here?

I also got into "Test account settings" and all tested successfully.

Also, CAN read my email from my IPAD, just can't see it on my PC. Does this help solve the issue?

Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
Does it look like this?

mailprofiles
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
nope.
Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
What version of windows is it ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
2003, i think
Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
Ok, go to control panel, then look in user accounts for the mail section.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
found it- howeverwhne I click on mail, it will not open
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Any further ideas???
Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
Any error message, or is it just not responding?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
just not responding - no error messages
Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
Ok, try this:

To run the Detect and Repair feature in your Office programs, follow these steps:
  1. Start an Office program besides outlook
  2. On the Help menu, click Detect and Repair.
  3. In the Detect and Repair dialog box, do any of the following:
    • Click to select the Restore my shortcuts while repairing check box. By default, this check box is selected. If you select the Restore my shortcuts while repairing option, Detect and Repair will keep your custom Office shortcuts. If you do not select this option, Detect and Repair will remove your custom Office shortcuts.
    • Click to select the Discard my customized settings and restore default settings check box. If you select the Discard my customized settings and restore default settings option, Detect and Repair will set the following back to the state that they appeared in when you first installed Office:
      • The Assistant character selection.
      • Most-recently-used entries on the File menu will be removed.
      • The size of the program window for all programs.
      • Menu and toolbar position and any customizations.
      • The security level for each program.
      • View settings in the program, such as the Calendar view in Outlook.
      • You must re-enter your User Name and Initials when you restart your Office programs.
  4. Click Start.
  5. Click Ignore if the Close Office Programs dialog box displays the following message (where program is any Office program that is currently running):
    In order to correctly pick up or restore your settings, the following programs must be closed:
    Microsoft program
  6. After the repair process has completed, click OK to the following message where edition is the version of Office that you have installed (for example, Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003):
    Microsoft Office edition Setup completed successfully.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am making progress. I have gotten to my outlook, microsoft offoce date appilcation- it is asking me what program I want to open it in.

Please advice me

Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
Date application?
Try opening it in outlook, but don't make it the default just in case.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not an option.

I am in Local Setings- Microsoft - Outlook. When I try to open it it says, "you are attempting to open Office data file (.pst). Is this where I should be.

Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
Yeah that's an outlook file.
I'm not sure how you got there from the repair process...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I didn't exactly get there directly from repairs, but started poking around. Unfortunately, I still can't open outlook. Apparently it is functioning because I am picking up my emails on IPAD. Isi it just hidden?
Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
Ok, try this:

outlook.exe /Cleanpst

Let me know what happens....

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
nothing happened.
Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
Ok, try

outlook /profiles
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
nothing yet
Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
Ok, try

outlook /CleanProfile

The Detect and Repair did nothing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
didn't get me to be able to open outlook.
Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
Ok, let me open this up for the other experts, I'll come back if I come up with anything else....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok thanks very much.
I do not know where you are located, but I am in New England and we had the storm of a lifetime here last night. Power is out everywhere including my home. I am leaving work now and heading home (- dark and cold place right now) so will loose Internet service. Can I resume tomorrow ? And if so, how can I continue this dialogue and not start from scratch with a new expert?
Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
Just come back here....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
will do, thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

IHello,

rebooted and OUTLOOK is up in safe mode. Something worked. Do I need to get it out of safe made? How?

Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
Ok...

Now close it and open it, it should be normal....

Molinari, MS Office Tech
Experience: Certified IT Guru