namstech
namstech, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Expert in Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Visio
31303650

When I reply to an e-mail, hit send, outlook encounters a

When I reply to an e-mail, hit send, outlook "encounters a problems" shuts down, re-opens, and the e-mail I'm sending is then in my outbox and I have to then hit send/receive to send it. Also, when typing e-mail addresses they no longer pop in there, I have to go searching through my addr book.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  namstech replied 2 years ago.

NA-eTech :

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer!

NA-eTech :

What version of Outlook are you using? Also, what is operating system on your computer (XP/Vista/7)

Customer:

2003, xp -

NA-eTech :

Have you tried running Outlook in safe mode?

NA-eTech :

You can try that by pressing and holding CTRL key while you click to open Outlook.

Customer:

I'll try. After shutting down my computer the hard way outlook claimed to be opening

Customer:

in a safe mode

NA-eTech :

I mean opening Outlook in safe mode while windows is in normal mode?

Customer:

just tried, lets see what happens - nope:

NA-eTech :

Ok.

Customer:

Just tried sending. Got the response outlook has enc a problem and has to close down, it re-opens right away, but the e-mail isn't sent.

NA-eTech :

Ok. Try the following:

NA-eTech :

Click Start->Run.

NA-eTech :

Type the following in Run box and press OK.

NA-eTech :

outlook.exe /resetnavpane

NA-eTech :

Let me know if you can open it.

Customer:

it opens - still the same stupid response when I his send.

NA-eTech :

Now try the following. Type the following in Run box and click OK.

NA-eTech :

outlook.exe /cleanviews

Customer:

did - tried a test send - same response

NA-eTech :

Can you give me an exact message?

NA-eTech :

exact error message*

Customer:

It's the error box that pops up when a webpage shuts down: "We're sorry but ms outlook has encountered a problem and needs to shut down." Then it provides the choice of sending a report to microsoft or not.

NA-eTech :

Do you Office or Outlook CD?

Customer:

What?

NA-eTech :

Did you install Outlook using a CD/DVD?

Customer:

I'm thinking it was on when I bought this desktop from dell. Which means there probably a backup CD, but I'd have to find where.

NA-eTech :

I see. Let us try a repair as follows:

NA-eTech :

Click Start->Control Panel.

NA-eTech :

Click Add/Remove Programs.

NA-eTech :

In the list of programs, locate and select Microsoft Office Outlook if it is separately installed or Microsoft Office if it is part of the office.

NA-eTech :

Click Remove/Uninstall button.

NA-eTech :

In the dialog that opens, select 'Repair' option and proceed with the repair.

NA-eTech :

Follow prompts to complete the repair.

Customer:

it looks like it's part of office. I have ms office small business edition 2003

NA-eTech :

Ok. So select Microsoft Office business edition from the list and follow the instructions above.

Customer:

Yeah, I did, I have to find the CD - and I have a meeting in about 1/2 hour. Let me try that and is there someway I can get back to you later today?

NA-eTech :

You can add this chat to favorites. However, I might or might not be online when you come back. Would you like me to opt out for other experts in such a case?

Customer:

what's the best option? I probably won't be back for a couple of hours?

NA-eTech :

If I am not here, then the best option is to opt out for other experts. Someone may pick up with you.

Customer:

ok - will do

NA-eTech :

Have a nice day :)

Customer:

Found the ms small business ed. 2003 CD. Went into programs, did a repair. It seems like it might have worked.

namstech, Electrical Engineer
Experience: Expert in Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Visio
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Same problem I had Monday. Thought we'd fixed it. Apparently not.

Already Tried:
- opening outlook in a safe mode - going into programs and repairing ms office

Expert:  namstech replied 2 years ago.
Hi again!

Might be a malware. Please download and run the following anti-malware and scan your computer with it. Its free version will suffice for the scan. Don't need to buy it. Here is it:

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you still have the problem.

Regards