Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler, Computer Engineer
Experience:  18 years troubleshooting PC/Server/Hardware/Printer and Network
21913621

I have a macro enabled excel spreadsheet set up and running

Customer Question

I have a macro enabled excel spreadsheet set up and running to test back history for the dow jones.
Now I want a live feed for the dow that I can bring into excel from several different providers.
My question is can I continue to run my macro while the live feed comes in from an outside provider.
Example; If I have the price change for the Dow coming in to A1 can I have this info feed into my macro sheet to let me anaylise the figures.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.

Christopher Bessler :

It certainly can.

Christopher Bessler :

You just have to understand that once you pull the data into the spreadsheet it is ONLY in the spreadsheet.

Christopher Bessler :

A spreadsheet does not update automatically, it only will update when you run the macro.

Christopher Bessler :

After that it is what is referred to as 'uncontrolled data'

Christopher Bessler :

But as long as the computer you are running the macro on is on a network that has access to the location you are pulling from, you can pull repeatedly without any issues.

Christopher Bessler :

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Christopher Bessler :

In the mean time I will switch this to a Q&A format question so you can come back to it at any time. I will also be notified when you make a posting.

Christopher Bessler, Computer Engineer
Experience: 18 years troubleshooting PC/Server/Hardware/Printer and Network
Expert:  Christopher Bessler replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Let me know...

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button. This is what completes the transaction.

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, I will be happy to continue troubleshooting the issue with you to ensure you are satisfied.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated.

Please bookmark my site http://bit.ly/the-hi-techs so you can contact me directly when you have a new question. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am very confused how this just answer works!!

Simply can you help and I have no problem paying if can solve my problem.

Sorry, I thought that you were just looking for an answer on whether or not it will work.

What, exactly, are you looking for?
Are you looking for your current macro to be altered?
If so, can you post the code of the current macro?
Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will get details and send to you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
AgriCharts Excel Add-In

This add-in provides the capability of accessing ddfplus real-time data within Excel by using a simple function: AGDATA(Symbol, Field).

In order to use this function, simply enter it in one or more cells specifying the desired symbol as the first parameter and the desired field as the second parameter. For example, to request the ‘Open' field value for ‘IBM' the following text should be typed in a cell: ‘=AGDATA("IBM","open")' (excluding the single quotes). The following fields are available using the AGDATA() function:

"timestamp": date and time of last update

"bid": current bid

"bidsize": current bid size

"ask": current ask

"asksize": current ask size

"open": open

"high": high

"low": low

"close": close

"last": last

"previous": previous price

"volume": volume

"oi": open interest

"previousvolume": previous trading day's volume

"previousoi": previous trading day's open interest

Settings

The settings can be accessed by clicking on the ‘Tools->AgriCharts->Settings' menu. A dialog will be displayed that contains three options: ‘Username', ‘Password', and ‘Connection Mode'. Enter the user name and password provided by AgriCharts in the corresponding fields. Select the ‘TCP Streaming' setting in the ‘Connection Mode' pull-down list.

This is where I am bringing the feed from.

Basically my question/request is can I have this feed come into a spreadsheet and also run a macro.

For example if I have this feed coming in can I have a macro that will list the results ie everytime the feed figure changes can we save it in a list by way of a macro.

Fergus

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

can you look at my request

OK, what is the remote source you are pulling from now?

And answering your question, you cannot have a macro that will pull new results every time the figure changes. A macro doesn't work that way.

I would have to investigate getting it to work with an RSS feed, and I don't know if that is possible.

I will find out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

its coming from www.agricharts.com