Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Since Office 2000, Ive been using, repairing and teaching the basics of MS Office to anyone with a need to learn.

I am having problems with the horizontal (right, left) scroll

Customer Question

I am having problems with the horizontal (right, left) scroll bar -- or the horizontal scrolling function in Publisher 2010.

The problem is that the scrolling function seems to be operating on its own, automatically scrolling the page right (moving the page image to the left) without my putting the cursor on any horizontal scrolling function to activate this scrolling action. It is very frustrating because it causes the page I am working on to jump to the left unexpectedly while I am working on laying out and modifying the test and graphics on the page.

One important piece of info: this MS Publisher 2010 is operating an iMac whose disc has been partitioned using BootCamp so that I can run Windows 7 o9n the "PC" portion of the partitioned disc.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will assist you with your issue..

Question, is it only the publisher program thats having this issue.. It doesnt happen with other programs does it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've tried to replicate the problem in WORD, but it does not reoccur.

The problem only seems to be in Publisher
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Thanks!

question.. is this a macbook, or a mac desktop?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's an iMac desktop (the one with the entire computer housed behind the screen).
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Thanks..

Id like to test something..

Start publisher, then.. unplug the keyboard..

does it still scroll on its own?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Keyboard is wireless.

I assume i just turn it off, correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
keyboard disabled and problem continues
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.. And apologies for the delay..

Ok.. Was this issue occuring from the moment you installed publisher? Or..

Did it just recently start?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Started from first use after loading Pub 2010 on Bootcamp partition.
Could it be the Apple mouse?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You still there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is going on? 20 mins since I last heard from you.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Im here. apologies for the delay..

Lets try this next.. One of the bootcamp updates used to mess with the keyboard..

So, on your windows side, do the following

Open Control Panel
In view mode “View by Category”, find the section “Clock, Language and Region”
Click “Change Keyboards or other input methods”
Press the button “Change Keyboards”
Press the button “Add”
Scroll down to “English (United States)” and expand.
Check box “US”
Press OK.
Press OK. — You’ll see two keyboards listed “US” and “United States (Apple)”
Press OK.

Then.. try publisher again.. Any better?
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Since Office 2000, Ive been using, repairing and teaching the basics of MS Office to anyone with a need to learn.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Going to try it.

Will get back in a coupla mins
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Problem is still there.

Let me reboot and see if that helps.

Will get back to you in couple mins
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did reboot and problem still occurs
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Answer did not correct the problem. Expert stopped responding
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Apologies for the delay,.

When you went into the keyboard options, did it show both a US , and a US apple keyboard?

Also.. Do you know what version of bootcamp your running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it showed both US & US Apple on keyboard.

I do not know what version of BootCamp.

Do you think it is the mouse?

It is Apple Mouse with no wheel on it.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
I dont think its the mouse, however, I dont want to ignore that it could be..

Do you have a different mouse you could test with? Or maybe.. Start the program and disconnect the mouse.. See if it scrolls..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Working on setting up old MS Mouse with wheel
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. Im here....

If this doesnt work, have a few more steps to try..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It IS the friggen Apple mouse!!!

Connected old Microsoft travel mouse (fwith wheel) from my computer junque box up in the atticand the problem has disappeared.

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Aha..

well thats a good thing, as its an easy fix.. the next things we wouuld have done would have been deleting some of the publisher preference files, and then. deleting reinstalling the program, and possibly, reinstalling bootcamp or upgrading it..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, I'm glad we don't have to do all that.

It appears that the Apple mouse was sending impulses to CPU that were telling the problem to scroll left.

Strange that it only happens in Publisher and not in other Office programs.

Now I will just have to use extra mouse when in Publisher.

Some sort of conflict between using using Apple pointing devices on Windows platform

Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome.. It could also be a bad driver, if it was an apple wireless mouse..

Possibly loading a new driver for the mouse may help, and stop you from having to use two mouses? Possibly..

Either way.. thanks for working with me today and if you need anything in the future, let me know.

In the future if you need anything you can ask me specifically your questions at my profile link on Just Answer..

Make sure to ask the question through the box on my page, and also, Start it with For D.Sandlin Only

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-dsandlin/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK

Thanks

I think I am going to stick with the MS mouse on both the OS and Windows sides of the partition and forget about the Apple mouse.

MS mouse is much more responsive and has the wheel. Apple mouse requires too much mouse pad real estate to make it across the big iMac screen.

My next challenge is to learn the changes MS has made in the 2010 version of Publisher from the old 2007 version that I had learned on during last several years.

Do you know anything about Publisher functionality, such as where they put the old "nudge" function in 2010? Can't find it anywhere.?

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
the link below will familiarize you with how to setup and use nudge in 2010

http://malektips.com/publisher-2010-nudge-objects-configure.html

once its setup, you just click the object, and use the arrow keys to nudge.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Cool

Much Thanks
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome.. I fyou need anything further, let me know!