darkshadowin
darkshadowin, Network Administrator
Experience:  I am network administrator with over 7 years practical hands on experience and knowledge.
33059174

How do I get outlook to come up when I enter the explorer icon

Customer Question

How do I get outlook to come up when I enter the explorer icon for the internet? I want to keep aol as my primary source for e-mail now. After I get a little bit better acquainted with outlook I can switch over to it.

gus XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  darkshadowin replied 2 years ago.

darkshadowin :

Thanks for choosing JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

darkshadowin :

I want to make sure that we are on the same page.

darkshadowin :

You use AOL mail for your email but Outlook pulled all that information down when you opened it is that correct?

Customer:

yes

darkshadowin :

Okay and when Outlook pulled all the information from the AOL mail server, when you opened up AOL mail again did all of the mail show in AOL?

darkshadowin :

Or was it gone?

Customer:

The mail was gone and listed in outlook

darkshadowin :

Okay.

darkshadowin :

What version of Outlook do you have installed?

darkshadowin :

2003, 2007 or 2010

Customer:

2003

darkshadowin :

Okay.

darkshadowin :

I have good news and bad news about what has happened.

darkshadowin :

The good news is we can prevent it from happening again.

darkshadowin :

The bad news is, now that Outlook has pulled all the AOL mail down, there is no way to put it back.

darkshadowin :

However there are some great search tools in Outlook that should help you with you have already pulled down.

Customer:

Wow'' Can i copy all of the outlook e-mail to a cd and recopy into my computer for use,

darkshadowin :

Sure.

darkshadowin :

You can create what is called a PST file.

darkshadowin :

Its an archive file.

darkshadowin :

That can be loaded back into outlook when you wish.

darkshadowin :

But before we move forward.

darkshadowin :

Lets get that setting in Outlook changed, that doesnt leave a copy of the messages on the server.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX to the original question. When i enter internet explore, how do i pull up outlook?

darkshadowin :

What happened here is that when the messages were pulled down, there is an option to leave a copy on the server or to delete from the server when pulling the messages.

darkshadowin :

You can't pull up outlook from Internet Explorer

darkshadowin :

Outlook is its own program.

darkshadowin :

But that is where the leaving a copy on the mail server comes into play.

darkshadowin :

By leaving a copy on the mail server, let say you are at home. You can use Outlook. But if you are at business and need to use AOL web mail.

darkshadowin :

A copy of the same message will also be on AOL's mail servers as well so you can pull it up.

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX i change the setting in outlook?

darkshadowin :

Okay what version of windows are you using? XP, Vista or 7?

Customer:

XP

darkshadowin :

Okay. First click on the start button, then click on Control Panel. In control panel you are look for "Mail" Double click on Mail and let me know when it comes up.

darkshadowin :

If you don't find "Mail" let me know.

Customer:

yes, I opened mail and it has options.

darkshadowin :

Okay great.

darkshadowin :

Now in there should be 3 choices.

darkshadowin :

The top choice should say Email Accounts.

Customer:

How do I keep your screen up for chat when I go back and forth? yes it does say email accounts.

darkshadowin :

You wont be able to.

darkshadowin :

However I will go step by step

darkshadowin :

And not jump fast ahead.

darkshadowin :

Okay I want you to click the Email Accounts button. This should bring you to a screen that looks like this.

darkshadowin :

Full Size Image

Customer:

ok what next?

darkshadowin :

The next step will be to click on the email account
that is listed. And then press the Change button.

darkshadowin :

Full Size Image

Customer:

I made the account settings into full page and tried to click on e-mail accounts and nothing happened.

darkshadowin :

Okay click on the account name.

darkshadowin :

And then click change.

darkshadowin :

Let me know if you can't get to that point.

Customer:

The accouynt name isCustomeror is it in the change folder at the bottom of the page.

darkshadowin :

ProbablyCustomer

darkshadowin :

If you look at the picture that I put in the chat.

darkshadowin :

You will see the black line on the picture.

darkshadowin :

That will be the account name.

darkshadowin :

Click that once and it will turn a bluish highlight.

darkshadowin :

Then click the change button above that.

darkshadowin :

If that doesn't work. Try double clicking the account name.

darkshadowin :

Are you still there?

Customer:

yes, thank you. It appears to be working now. Thank you very much.

Customer:

Gus

darkshadowin :

Okay now lets go to the next step :)

darkshadowin, Network Administrator
Experience: I am network administrator with over 7 years practical hands on experience and knowledge.