Sergio A.
Sergio A., Computer Technologist
Experience:  I have 15+ years experience installing, configuring, troubleshooting and using MS Office products.

I am running Outlook 2003 and my wife is running 2007. Whenever

Customer Question

I am running Outlook 2003 and my wife is running 2007. Whenever she schedules me for something all I get is an email. It does not go into my calendar. How do I fix this.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is Sergio. Thanks for allowing me to help you.

Before we do some troubleshooting, I'll need a few questions answered:

1) What process is she using to schedule the calendar entries?
2) Who is your email provider? (yours and hers)
3) What are the contents of the email you receive?

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1) She is using MS Outlook 2007 calendar.

2) Hers - Navy Marine Corp Internet. Mine - verizon.net. However it does not matter who the provider is as I have the same problem no matter who tries to schedule events on my calendar.

3) Sample contents:

"When: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 5:00 PM-7:30 PM (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada).

Where: Either at Texas Roadhouse or La Tabella in Wildewood - I need to let Laverne know where we want to go

Note: The GMT offset above does not reflect daylight saving time adjustments.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*"

There is also an attached file called "meeting.ics"

Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
OK, the issue is that the calendar entries are coming from separate email providers, so the calendar entries are getting converted into .ics files. You should be able to open the attachment and it will enter the event into your calendar.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This just did not work.
Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
OK, what happened, did you get any error messaged?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No error messages. I continue to get an email with the specifics of the meeting but it does not automatically go on my calendar.

One other thing I ought to mention is I DO get proper Outlook schedule function from others outside of the Navy Marine Corp Internet (my wife's service provider) using Outlook 2007.

Also, my wife does not have the same problem on her home computer but she is running Outlook 2007, not Outlook 2003 as I am. Is there a compatibility issue between the Outlook 2007 she is running at her work and my Outlook 2003 on my home computer?

Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
What happens when you open the .ics file? It should prompt you to add it to your calendar.

In terms of compatibility issues, the versions of Outlook should work seamlessly. it is more likely that it's related to the Navy email system. Do you know anyone else that is using that provider to test it?

One more question, what happens when you schedule a meeting and send it to her?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was in error about the .ICS file. The .ics file does not accompany the scheduling emails from the Navy email system.

Agree the problem is unique to the navy email system AND Outlook 2003. My wife is running Outlook 2007 on her home computer and does not have this problem. She can schedule events on her home 2007 Outlook using 2007 Outlook at her work. BTW she ALSO works for the Navy so she is using the Navy email to schedule events on her home computer.

You are also correct in that the 2003 and 2007 versions of Outlook work seamlessly since when my wife is at home and using Outlook 2007, my Outlook 2003 accepts schedule inputs from her seamlessly.

Again, this is a problem between the Navy Outlook 2007 and my home Outlook 3003.

Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
It is a rather peculiar problem. Let's try one more thing to see if we can narrow down the problem to either the email provider or email client - assuming you are up to it. Download and install Mozilla Thunderbird on your PC, configure it by copying your email settings from Outlook. You will also need to install Lightning, Mozilla's companion calendar product. Once they are installed you can then test a new meeting invitation.

If it gets added to your calendar without a problem then we can safely say it is Outlook 2007 going to 2003. If it does not work, then you could test installing Thunderbird and Lightning on your wife's computer and have her schedule a meeting

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/

Alternatively, you could upgrade to Outlook 2007, but there is no guarantee that it will work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

At this point I think we can assume that there is some incompatibility between Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 on the NMCI network. My wife is running Outlook 2007 both at home and at the office and she has no problems between home and office event scheduling nor does she have problems scheduling my calendar when she is home. I was hoping to avoid the $139.99 cost of the upgrade and will now have to decide if it is worth it.

This terminates this query. Thank you for the time and effort.

Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
OK, but if you are going to upgrade, then I would just go to Outlook 2010. Here is a link on
Amazon, which is a few dollars cheaper than retail.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=outlook+2010&x=0&y=0

Alternatively, if you have any kids in school, or access to an .edu email address then you can look for a student discount.

Best of luck.