Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Office Specialist
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Microsoft Certified MCSE, MCDBA, MCP, Microsoft Partner

How to reinstall Office Home & Student 2007

Customer Question

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  eyecue replied 4 years ago.
When you install it, dont install it to the c:\programs files directory. Reinstall it to another location like c: and let me know what it says
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When I started the installation disc, it did not ask me where to install. So I do not know how to install it other than C:\programs files directory.

Expert:  eyecue replied 4 years ago.
Reinstall it and watch the screen closely, it gives you an option to install it anywhere you want
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The option where to install may come out after the error 1406 appeared and so I could not proceed any further. Anyway I will try to install with a hope to see that option you have mentioned.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I tried again to install, but there is no installing-place option came out by the error message #1406 came out and I could not go further.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Let me know about when you will give me a final answer to solve my trouble.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 4 years ago.
Hello. My name isXXXXX may be able to provide some additional help.

Please make sure you have done what you can to uninstall all office components from the programs list in the control panel. Once you have done that, do the following, looking for the "broken" installers of each, then reboot and try the install again.

Please go to |MG| Windows Installer CleanUp Utility 7.2 Download to download the file msicuu2.exe. Then run the file, which will install the utility.

When that is complete, click on start>All Programs and find the program "Windows Install Cleanup". Start the program and it will populate with a fairly large number of installed items. Find the Microsoft Office installer on this list. Select it and click remove. Be VERY careful not to select any other programs. Selecting another item by mistake can potentially render your computer unusable. As long as you only click on and remove the Microsoft Office software, you will not have a problem. There may be more than one item related to Microsoft Office, so remove each one. Then exit the utility, restart your computer, and run the download/installation for Microsoft Office again. It should now install correctly.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay in answering. I tried to download msicuu2.exe. in vain so far

Most of the internet sites handle msicuu2.exe I contacted had not let it download to my PC, instead, they warned me not to use that software telling me if I delete Window Instoller by that software, other importtant installed items will probably be unistalled at the same time. That is why Microsoft have taken out msicuu2.exe from its recommended software list.

Will you let me know some other ways to solve my trouble.

You are correct, in that you CAN cause problems with your computer. You can also see in the directions I gave you, that I told you that.

This is the way to solve the problem you are having. It's a powerful tool, which is why it can solve this problem. You can use it yourself, or I can connect remotely and do it if you'd like, but that's a premium service. And although I'll do that if you'd like, you really don't need me too. If I thought you would cause a problem using it, I wouldn't recommend it.

If you are going to let the advice of other people override the things I recommend, then the problem will not get fixed. If you'd like to get a suggestion from the genius that told you not to use it, have him or her tell you what they would recommend, and I'll help you with it.

I realize this requires a little trust, and with what's likely a life's work on your computer, it's not easy to create that in a few minutes. But you are welcome to read feedback from other customers, if that will help.