Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler, Computer Engineer
Experience:  21 years troubleshooting PC/Server/Hardware/Printer and Network

When I restore data from one computer to another for Outlook

When I restore data from one computer to another for Outlook 2010, Business Contact Mgr., I get a "cannot restore because I do not own this data file" message.
What can I do about that?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Christopher Bessler replied 4 years ago.

Christopher Bessler :

How exactly are you trying to restore?

Christopher Bessler :

Are you just copying the files?

Christopher Bessler :

Or are you trying to use the Windows restore utility?

Christopher Bessler :

Let me know exactly what process you are following.

Christopher Bessler :

You appear to be offline.

Christopher Bessler :

In the mean time I will switch this to a Q&A format question so you can come back to it at any time. I will also be notified when you make a posting.

Let me know...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the information.

This is all about Microsoft Outlook 2010, Business Contact Manager

Within this program you have the tools to "back-up data" and restore that back-up.

I have just bought a new comp. also with Outlook 2010.

Trying to transfer my data from one to the other.

I am using the back up tools with Outlook.

When I try and "restore" to the new comp. Outlook, I get this "you are not the owner of this data, cannot restore! Thats on my new Dell!! Windows 7

Tried to restore this same file on my laptop, also Windows 7---No Problem!!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am now suspect this issue is Window's 7 related. Something perhaps in a security setting.

When I try and restore this BCM back-up file on my laptop, also Windows 7, it restores successfully!

When I try to restore this same file in my new PC, Window's 7, it denies the action with a "you do not own this data base, cannot restore" message.

I apologize for not being immediately available. I live in Connecticut and and without power after the ice storm. I am currently updating this on my Droid cell phone.

I will make every effort to continue to assist you, but it may take me a bit longer to respond.

Are you using the integrated Windows restoration utility?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Wow! Ice storm. Glad I don't live in Connecticut.

No on the restoration utility, not sure what that is.

Come back to me when you can

How, EXACTLY are you trying to restore?

Let me know the entire process, click by click.

This will tell me what utility you are trying to use.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

With Outlook 2010, Business Contact Mgr., (BCM), on my old computer PC that has Windows Vista, I ran a backup that put all my BCM contact information in a file labeled

MSSmallbusiness. This file was put on an external drive I use to back up my files.

Then, on my new Dell PC, Windows 7, I went into Outlook 2010, BCM, and ran a restore program that is suppossed to put that same data into the Outllook BCM.

When I try and run this restore program, it trys to run for a few seconds, then comes back with this message: "Cannot restore because you are not the owner of this file."

When I try and run that same restore data file on my laptop also with Windows 7,

It restores successfully!

There are three computers in play here, not to confuse you.

My old PC, Windows Vista, My new Dell PC, Windows 7 and my laptop, Windows 7.

The fact that I can successfully run this restore programm on my laptop makes me believe it is a security issue on my new Dell PC.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

One more item of consequence.

The Outlook 2010 in my new Del has in it a sample data file in Business Contact Manager.

I backed up that file the exact same way I backed up MSSmallbusiness. It was called MSSamplebusiness. When I tried to restore that file back into OutLook 2010, BCM, it restored successfully!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Cancel all help.

I have now successfully restored my data base to outlook bcm!!!!

Good luck with your power outage

Charlie Maull

Expert:  replied 4 years ago.

I am very happy that you have all your data. I hope I at least helped you a little.

Thank you for letting me know!

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button. This is what completes the transaction.

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, I will be happy to continue troubleshooting the issue with you to ensure you are satisfied.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated.

Please bookmark my site so you can contact me directly when you have a new question. Thank you