Val B
Val B, Analyst / Trainer
Experience:  Expert in solving Microsoft Office problems.
36150026

I am having problems with Autotext in Word 2010. 1) I have

I am having problems with Autotext in Word 2010. 1) I have created a special template for the client for which I am working (I'm a translator), and am creating a document in that template; 2) I have followed the instructions for adding a new Autotext entry, which are similar to those in Word 2007, where I have previously done this successfully, but I am not offered this particular template in the "Save in" box, so I select the "Normal" template. When I close the program I choose to save changes that have been made in the document template. But when I restart my computer the next day, none of the Autotext entries I have "Saved in" the "Normal" template are available. The only Autotext entries available are the few I saved inadvertently in "Building Blocks." And in fact, none of the Autotext entries I have saved under "Normal" can be seen under "Quick Parts," "Organize Building Blocks" menu.
So how can I reliably preserve my Autotext entries in the template where they belong? In Word 2007, when I was working in this template all of the AutoText entries I had created BOTH in the "Normal" template and in the special template were available.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Christopher Bessler replied 2 years ago.

Christopher Bessler :

I have seen this problem before in 2010 when the computer was UPGRADED from 2007 to 2010.

Christopher Bessler :

Was that the case here?

Christopher Bessler :

If so, you may need to go through a complete uninstall/reinstall in order to resolve it.

Christopher Bessler :

I always reccommend a complete uninstall and reinstall.

The best way to accomplish this is with Revo Uninstaller. Most programs do not uninstall cleanly or upgrade cleanly. Small remnants in the system registry or folder hierarchy will sometimes be left behind and can cause errors. Revo Uninstaller is a program that hunts down these remnants and will delete them, letting you install a completely fresh copy of the software.

Download Revo uninstaller here:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Use it to uninstall all versions of Office.

Christopher Bessler :

Then let Revo find all the registry entries and folders and delete them

Christopher Bessler :

Then reboot and reinstall fresh

Christopher Bessler :

I know this will take a while.

Christopher Bessler :

In the mean time I will switch this to a Q&A format question so you can come back to it at any time. I will also be notified when you make a posting.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Let me know...

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button. This is what completes the transaction.

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, I will be happy to continue troubleshooting the issue with you to ensure you are satisfied.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated.

Please bookmark my site http://bit.ly/the-hi-techs so you can contact me directly when you have a new question. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The problem is on a new computer with newly installed software, so UPGADING is not the issue.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
THE ANSWER IS BASED ON A FALSE ASSUMPTION AND DOES NOT ADDRESS MY QUESTION. THE EXPERT COULD HAVE SAVED SOME TIME BY CHECKING TO SEE WHETHER HIS ASSUMPTION (THAT I WAS UPGRADING TO WORD 2010 INSTEAD OF USING A FRESHLY INSTALLED PROGRAM)WAS CORRECT.
Is this the process you are following?

Add an AutoText entry to your document

1. On the Insert tab, click Quick Parts, and then point to AutoText.
  2. Click the entry that you want to add.

Create a new AutoText entry

In Word 2010, AutoText entries are stored as building blocks. To create a new entry, use the Create New Building Block dialog box.

1. In your Word document, select the text that you want to add to your gallery of AutoText entries.
  2. On the Insert tab, in the Text group, click Quick Parts, point to AutoText, and then click Save Selection to AutoText Gallery.
  3. Fill out the information in the Create New Building Block dialog box:
  • Name Type a unique name for the AutoText building block.
  • Gallery Select the AutoText gallery.
  • Category Select the General category, or create a new category.
  • Description Type a description of the building block.
  • Save in Click the name of the template in the drop-down list. For example, click Normal.

A template must be open to be displayed in the drop-down list of template names.

• Options Choose one of the following:
  • Select Insert content in its own page to place the building block on a separate page with page breaks before and after the building block.
  • Select Insert content in its own paragraph to make the content into its own paragraph, even if the user's cursor is in the middle of a paragraph.
  • Select Insert content only for all other content.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, that's the process. The problem is a) I am not offered the template I am using under the "Save in" drop-down menu; and b) if I select the "Normal" template, the autotext entries are not available after I've closed Word and shut down and restarted my computer.

Have you tried creating a new template? Just as a test? To see if you are able to successfully create a good autotext entry?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I created a new template with the specs. I needed. I started a new document in that template, but I was still not offered that template as an option in the "Save in" drop-down menu.
Where are you storing that template? Are you putting it in the:

C:\Documents and Settings\"user name"\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\

This is the default. Try putting your template in here, then rebooting. Hopefully this should make it a selectable template.

Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, I've just been storing it wherever Word stores items saved as templates. Then it shows up when I create a "new document" either under "recent templates" or "my templates." Your suggestion raises another question, I can't seem to get a full directory of my C:\ hard drive under "Windows Explorer."
That means that the folders are hidden, are you are not logged in as an administrator.

Make sure you are, then save that template in the directory I referenced.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, I'm the only user of this computer, but I'll try to log in as "administrator."
Not 'Administrator' just as a user with administrator rights.

Although you can try it with administrator.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I tried to create a new account, I saw that my present account on which I log in is already identified as an "administrator" account.
OK, then just open up the C: drive and navigate to that folder I listed for you.

Copy your working template into that folder, and reboot.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just in case I wasn't getting administrator rights, I created a new "Administrator" account, so I'll reboot and log in under that account to see if I can see the full C:\ directory that way.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've now tried setting up a separate administrator account, but the outcome is just the same. Under Windows Explorer I checked off "Show all folders" and "show hidden folders," which I can actually do under my original personal log-in, and I still get the same crap. I can't see a full directory of C:\.. But wait! I just went to "Recent" under the Word File menu and saw a list of "recent places." One of those "places" is the Word templates folder, and there, under that folder, is the "X" template that I've been trying to save Autotext files in.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have now located the "X" template I've been talking about in the "Templates" folder, opened it by double-clicking on it in that folder, typed and selected some text, then tried to save it as an autotext entry in that template, and the template STILL DOES NOT APPEAR IN THE "SAVE-IN" DROP-DOWN MENU.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I have never gotten an answer to my question. So far, none of the recommended strategies have worked. Once I located the template I had been working in (not by the method Christopher Bessler recommended, which does not work on either of my *@!# XXXXX 7 computers), I still could not save an autotext entry in that template.
I apologize for not being immediately available. I live in Connecticut and and without power after the ice storm. I am currently updating this on my Droid cell phone.

I will make every effort to continue to assist you, but it may take me a bit longer to respond.

Since we have not been able to come to a resolution thus far, I will opt out. Another expert should pick up this question and continue assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your reply Christopher. Sorry about your loss of power. Our friends in Maine were bracing for snow Friday night. Actually, ice storms are more of a threat down here in Durham, NC, than big snows. But not in October-November, yet. Take care, Gordon

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Christopher,

I hope you have power restored by now. We left town for a few days after our last communication, and I never have received a satisfactory answer to my original question. We've determined that I have a clean, new installation of Word 2010. My templates are located in the proper "Templates" folder. But when I create an AutoText entry and open the "Create a new building block" screen/window, I am not even offered the choice of my special template (call it "GL") in the "Save in" drop-down menu. The only choices are "Normal" or "Building blocks." What's more, if I am working in the "Normal" template and choose to save my Autotext entry in the "Normal" template, it only remains available until I have closed the current session of Word. When I reopen Word and try to enter the Autotext entry in my document, I am told that "the specified text is not a valid building block name." If I "Save in" "Building Blocks," on the other hand, the entry remains available in future Word sessions. But that's not the way it's supposed to work, and this means that I'm not able to have certain Autotext entries for specific templates. I'm a translator, and I rely heavily on Autotext for repeated phrases. (In Word 2007, all entries saved in "Normal" were available in my special "GL" template until overridden by an entry saved in the "GL" template.) So I still need to know how to fix this problem.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
No answer yet that has worked. Christopher's suggestions did not provide an answer. His last communication was a message from his mobile phone indicating that he had lost power in the NE snow storm. He said he would pass my question on to another person. I myself left town at that point. Then, about five days later I sent him another message restating the question and asking for an answer. I HAVE NOT HEARD FROM JUST ANSWER SINCE. TO DATE I HAVE HAD NOTHING CLOSE TO A SATISFACTORY ANSWER.
Expert:  Val B replied 2 years ago.

Do you have Adobe Acrobat installed on your pc? There is a known problem with the Adobe add-in for Word. Acrobat 7.0 installs a COM add-in in the following folder: \Acrobat 7.0\PDFMaker\OfficeThis COM add-in provides PDFMaker icons and menu commands for Office programs.

You can check for and remove this add-in by completing the following tasks:

1. Quit all programs.
  2. Click Start, then click Control Panel.
  3. Click Uninstall a Program
  4. Under Currently installed programs, click Adobe Acrobat Professional 7.0, and then click Change.
  5. Click Modify, and then click Next.
  6. Expand Create Adobe PDF.
  7. Expand Acrobat PDFMaker.
  8. Click the arrow next to Microsoft Office, and then click Not installed.
  9. In the Adobe Acrobat Professional 7.0 Setup wizard, click OK.
  10. Close Add or Remove Programs.

I hope this helps. Valerie Becker

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Valerie,

I was away when your answer arrived and have just had a chance to try it out. I DID have Acrobat X Standard Installed, but when the search feature wouldn't find words I knew were in a document, I also installed Acrobat Reader X. Then, after I had turned off my computer and restarted it the next day, Acrobat X Standard was gone. (I never had Acrobat Professional). Apparently Acrobat Reader replaced Acrobat Standard. Anyway, I tried the AutoText task I was trying to perform in Microsoft Word without Acrobat Standard being there, and it still doesn't work: (1) I am still not given the option of saving my new autotext entry in the special template I'm working in. I get only the choices of saving it in "Building blocks" or the "Normal" template. Then, (2) when I choose to save it in the "Normal" template instead of in "Building Blocks," the autotext does not work at all after I have closed Word and restarted it.

Expert:  Val B replied 2 years ago.

I apologize that this is so frustrating to solve!

Is your GL template saved as a .dotx file or .dotm file?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. I've got to confess that when I looked in the Microsoft Word "Templates" folder to answer your question, I found that the GL template had been saved in that folder, but as a .docx file. So I recreated the template and saved it as a .dotx file (the .dotm option was not offered). Now I am offered the option of saving my autotext entry in the GL template [THAT'S PROGRESS!]. But the autotext is still only available during the Word session in which I saved it. Once I exit Word and start again, then open a "New" document in that template, when I type the autotext name (e.g., "rf" for "Russian Federation") followed by F3, I am told "The specified text is not a valid Building Block name."

Gordon

Expert:  Val B replied 2 years ago.

From what I'm reading you need to start with the normal.dotm template in order to use autotext:

New blank documents will be based on Normal.dotm, never on Normal.dotx. Macros and AutoCorrect entries in Normal.dotx will be available only in documents that are based on (or attached to) that specific template, while those in Normal.dotm are available in all documents.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In the past, that's been my experience (with Word 2007): All of the Autotext entries I saved in "Normal" were available in all documents, unless I had saved an entry with the same name in, for example, the GL template, in which case, in that template only, the new entry would replace the Normal entry. The problem is that, in the Word 2010 that's on my new computer, when I save my autotext entry in Normal.dotm, I get the same results as when I save it in my "GL.dotx" template--namely, once I've closed the Word session, when I restart it and am working in the "Normal" template, I get the same message: "The specified text is not a valid Building Block name." Only if I save an Autotext entry in "Building Blocks.dotx" will it be available in a new Word session.
Expert:  Val B replied 2 years ago.
When you open one of these templates does it say you're working in Compatibility Mode?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, it does not say that, as far as I can tell.
Expert:  Val B replied 2 years ago.

When you open Word and click on Open and browse to the template you should see the name of the template followed by [Compatibility Mode].

Then you can click on File > Info > Convert then you should be prompted to confirm the conversion.

Also take a look at the files in your pc and if you see any Normal.dot files rename them to anything but Normal.dotm or Normal.dotx

I think the key is getting your templates in .dotm format.

In new installations of Word 2010 the Normal.dotm file is not present. When you first open Word it looks for Normal.dotm and since it doesn't find it will use Normal.dot instead.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't have "Compatibility Mode" opposite any template file names, and I believe that Compatibiity Mode is only active when you're working in a document created in an earlier form of Word, typically Word 97-2003. Once you save that document in the current version, Word 2010 (this was also true of Word 2007), [Compatibility Mode] no longer appears following your document name. Also, the only .dotm template I have is the Normal.dotm template. And when I try to save an Autotext entry in that template, I have the same problem as when I try to save it in my GL.dotx template. THe only way I can have an Autotext entry available in a new Word session is if I save it in "Building Blocks," and that is the "Building Blox .dotx" template.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

PS: I created a new template and saved it as a .dotm template. Then I created an AutoText entry and saved it in that template. Closed Word, reopened it, started a new document in that template, and found that the Autotext entry was unavailable: "The specified text is not a valid Building Blocks name."

Expert:  Val B replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking that even though its a new install you might have copied some older files to the new pc.
When you look at the date revised on the new template does it show the current time of the latest attempt at saving the autotext? Also have you tried clicking as well as just saving the Autotext?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, the time on the template when I view it in Windows Explorer is the time when it was originally created. Also when I was working in Word 2007, every time I saved a new Autotext entry in a template, the next time I saved the document I would be asked if I wanted to save changes to the template. I have not been prompted with that question when I save a document after having saved an Autotext entry in the template I'm working in.

I'm not sure what you mean by "clicking as well as just saving the Autotext." Maybe that's the key.

Expert:  Val B replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, I wrote that last response from my phone and that didn't work well.

Click Save to save the template, not just saving the autotext.

Another thought I had is what if the macros aren't enabled? When I just created a new .dotm template and then closed Word and re-opened it I was prompted to enable the macros in the document, have you ever gotten that prompt?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I have never gotten that prompt.
Expert:  Val B replied 2 years ago.

Please try going to the Trust Center:

In Word > File > Word Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings

Then Message Bar

Does it say Show the Message Bar in all applications when content has been blocked?

Also, changes to the templates might not be saved if they are protected by an Antivirus program. Try to turn off it then create the Autotext and save.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that option is checked (there's a dark bullet to the right of it). I also noticed that "enable macros" on a previous Trust Center screen had not been checked.
Expert:  Val B replied 2 years ago.

You could try enabling the macros on that other screen and seeing if that makes a difference.

The issue would be if you opened an email with a document attached that had a virus in it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'll first try turning off Norton IS and then saving an Autotext. I need to leave home shortly, so if it's okay, I'll try these options and let you know tomorrow.

Expert:  Val B replied 2 years ago.

That's fine if I think of anything else I'll add it for you to try. Sorry again this is so aggravating.

Since your document template date and time is not being changed we can surmise that something is stopping it from being saved; an add-in (like Adobe, but maybe a different one), an antivirus program protecting the template, or the file being read-only.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I appreciate your logical approach. It wouldn't be the read-only problem, since I am actively altering the file as I type. It is odd that I would be able to save autotexts in "Building Blocks.dotx," but not in the other templates, one a .dotm, another a .dotx. I sure wouldn't be surprised if Norton IS is the culprit, though. I have it on my agenda, anyway, to uninstall that program and install a different antivirus program.
Expert:  Val B replied 2 years ago.
I'll check back tomorrow to see if Norton was the culprit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again Valerie,

It took a while, but I found out how to disable Norton automatic virus protection, and in the process I also saw that Microsoft Office Automatic Scan was turned off. With Norton disabled, I tried again to save an Autotext entry in my .dotm template, closed Word and then opened it again, started a new document in that template--alas, same old results, no Autotext entry! I've looked at add-ins in Word and can't see any extraneous ones. I did see through Word help that someone else had had a similar problem with an HP laptop. Had not gotten a satisfactory answer in that forum.

Expert:  Val B replied 2 years ago.

To narrow down our focus could you try making another change to your template, perhaps a margin adjustment, and then see if it is available when you close and re-open.

The more complicated these programs get the more chance there is for a setting or another program to mess things up.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You must have replied before I reported success in disabling add-ins. Now my only problem is that I seem to be able only to disable ALL add-ins (under Options, Trust Center). Under Options, Add-ins, I am offered only the option of managing so-called "COM Add-ins". I don't yet know whether disabling any of the other add-ins will prove to "impair functionality."

Expert:  Val B replied 2 years ago.

I didn't see that post, but that's great!

For the add-ins please try re-enabling All add-ins through Options > Trust Center

then

File > Options > Add-Ins

Next to Manage (where you see Com Add-ins) you should now be able to select Word Add-Ins

Val

Val B, Analyst / Trainer
Experience: Expert in solving Microsoft Office problems.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay, it does seem that the only add-ins are "Com add-ins" I just don't understand what "Com" means. But I'm okay with that. Thanks for staying with the problem. I saw from some on-line forums that other folks had encountered the same, or a similar, problem and on the free forums, at least, had not received a satisfactory solution.

Take care,

Gordon

Expert:  Val B replied 2 years ago.

Glad to help!

A COM add-in is like a mini-program that runs inside the Office application. The COM stands for component or communication.

Val