Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Since Office 2000, Ive been using, repairing and teaching the basics of MS Office to anyone with a need to learn. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller .

I am on a deadline to submit work on a project and my Word

I am on a deadline to submit work on a project and my Word document is "frozen." I can get to other things in Outlook but Word is immovable, with the document on the screen. I hope someone can help as soon as possible.
Welcome to JustAnswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a member of the expert community here..

What version of word / office do you have.. 2010, 2007, 2003?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I forgot my password, they sent me an email with a temporary one, told me to CLICK HERE and I ended up on this page, can't find how to Log In. I'm not a tech whiz, but not dumb either.

Understood, well your here now.. And Im very good at resolving issues with word / office

ok.. so I can help you , I need some background info..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
2010, just got it last week or so, but haven't had any trouble with this and I'm cranking out tons of work to go on vacation next week.
Thanks.. One more question.. Is it only this one document that cant open?

or can the word program not open period?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is just that one document, but I can't do anything with it (add, delete, save, close) so Word is stuck on that document. Right now when I click on the Word icon, I can't even bring up the screen, but it's there somewhere. If I just shut down, it comes back up but that's all.

Apologies for the delay..

the word document.. can you find where its located in your my documents folder?

Once you find the correct document.. I want you to right click it, then left click properties

Then left click previous versions..

Allow a minute for the list to populate.. Then.. if it shoes a previous version.. Double click it and see if it will open.. If it wont open that way,< let me know!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That Word document is frozen in place. It is under all these other windows I am using and the only way to get rid of it is push the ON/OFF button and close down abruptly. While at that document, I can do NOTHING, not even close or minimize it, nor search My Documents, nada, rien, nothing. I can get to my email but I can't open Word or my Librairies.

Under stood.. Lets try this.

press and hold these two keys

ctrl ( control) and shift

then tap the escape key

That should open the task manager.

on the task manager, click processes.. I want you to righ click on any process thats laveled winword

and then left click end process. This should get rid of the hung word screens..

Once you have gotten rid of them.. Next.. I want you to find that word file, right click it.. go to properties, previous versions, and then try to restore a previous version.

What happens?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It worked! It was autosaved, reappeared and is now fully workable. I just hope I haven't jinxed it, but I see it sitting right here. Thank You!