Viet -MS Office Tech
Viet -MS Office Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP; Microsoft Office, etc.

My software is Microsoft XP. About every other day, my cursor

Customer Question

My software is Microsoft XP.
About every other day, my cursor changes from an arrow or crosshairs to a cursor that is hard to explain; meaning:
= it changes to something a little larger than an arrow;
= square to rectanglular in shape, grey in color;
= has a arrow, blue in color, pointing up & down on the right side of this square;
= with a hand looking object, white in color, directly below the right corner;
= the hand being sort of a fist with the thumb pointing left and the right index finger pointing up to the right corner.
When this appears, I can make very few changes with the cursor -- it being larger and therefore, hard to connect to close a function or change anything.
To correct, I have to close (usaually ctrl/alt/delete), and restart.
What is wrong, and how do I correct?
Robert Fawcett
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Viet -MS Office Tech replied 4 years ago.

Hi, and thanks for using

Please click Start->all programs->accessories->system tools->system restore and restore the computer to any date before this issue has occurred, if possible.

Next, click below and click on Download Latest Version, to download and install the Malwarebytes Anti-malware software. Then scan your computer:

Please go to Start, Control Panel, Mouse (you may need to open Printers and other hardware option first), then click on Pointers on the top, then select Windows default (system scheme) under Scheme, and click OK. If it does not work, then at Pointers, just select None under Scheme, then click OK. Also, when this happens, you don't have to restart the computer, but change the scheme between None and Windows default (system scheme).

Please let me know if there is still any issue later. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I accept your answer; however, I have not implemented. Just don't have the time right now.

And I'm going out of town -- back in two weeks.

Let me know what I owe you.

Robert Fawcett

No problem. You can always get back to me via this web page if there is still any issue. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Two problems: first, the "system restore" option is not available under "system tools" and when I go to Search and receive system restore, it will not allow me to change the date to restore; second, I went to the Malwarebytes website, purchased the PC Tools Internet software, but I never received the software to download. (Their pop-up chat person would not help, and could take 24 hours; thence, I have to contact Cust Ser by telephone. Its nuts!)

Next as to your instructions "Please go to Start, Control Panel, Mouse ..." There is no option for Mouse. What is this all about, anyway?

And the problem I originally outlined above, still exist.

Don't worry about the system restore.

Don't purchase anything. The PC Tools is not the correct software. It is the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software. Please try again:
, click on Download Latest Version on the right.
; this is a free software; don't buy anything, just use its free feature.

When you go to Control Panel, click on Switch to Classic View on the left, then you will see Mouse.

Thank you.