Freddy M.
Freddy M., Computer Support
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

Hello. Im new to MS Access and have some pretty damn crazy

Hello. I'm new to MS Access and have some pretty damn crazy questions. I'm trying to find out if it's possible to set up a form so that you can select a Vendor name from a drop-down and the remaining fields (Contact Name, Address, Phone #, etc.) auto-populate ... but, if the vendor you're using ISN'T in the drop-down list, you can type in the name of the Vendor, the Contact Name, Address, etc. In both cases, the data is saved in a table.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
  1. Open a form or data access page in Design view.
  2. In the toolbox, make sure that the Control Wizards tool Button image is not selected.
  3. Click the List Box tool Button image, the Combo Box tool Control, or the Dropdown List tool Button image in the toolbox.
  4. Click the form, report, or data access page to create a default-sized control, or click and drag until the control is the size you want.
  5. With the control still selected, click Properties Button image on the Form Design or Page Design toolbar to open the property sheet for the control.
  6. Do one of the following:
  • Set the ListRowSource property box, select the recordset you want.
  • In the ListBoundField and ListDisplayField property boxes, select the fields you want.
  1. If you want Access to store the value you select, click the ControlSource property box and select the field to which you want to bind the list box, combo box, or drop-down list.
If you don't want to use the recordset options you can use this as well.

1. In the RowSourceType property box, do one of the following:
    • In an Access database, to show values from a table or query, or results of an SQL statement, select Table/Query.
    • In an Access project, to show values from a table or query, or results of an SQL statement, select Table/View/StoredProc.
    • To show a fixed list of values, select Value List.
    • To show a list of fields in a table or query, select Field List.
  2. In the RowSource box, do one of the following:
    • Select a table or query containing the values or field names that you want to appear in the list box.
    • Type a list of fixed values and separate each item with a semicolon (;).
    • Type an SQL statement or click the Build Button image button to open the Query Builder.
  3. If you want more than one column to appear in the control, click the ColumnCount property box and type the number of columns you want.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please click "Accept” so I am paid for my time. I am only paid if you click Accept”.

(Even if you are a subscription or trial member you must click "Accept" for me to be paid.)

If my answer did not work please let me know instead of giving negative feedback.

A Bonus and Positive Feed Back is appreciated.

Freddy M., Computer Support
Experience: Years of experience.