Ansh P.
Ansh P., MS Office Specialist
Experience:  Computer Science Engineer with 10 years experience in MS Office (All Versions).

When I try to start Microsoft Office it comes up with an error

Customer Question

When I try to start Microsoft Office it comes up with an error message of:

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Chris L. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

Do you get there error when opening any program in office such as word, outlook, excel?

Please tell when the problem first started as well as which operating system you are using.

Thank You
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had installed Office 2010 on a trial basis and when I unistalled it the problem started coming up. I cannot open any office program now. I have office 2007 installed.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 5 years ago.
Ok sounds like something did not go well with the uninstall of 2010. Please tell which operating system you are using, is it windows XP, Vista, or 7?

Also did you just reinstall office 2007 or was it installed the whole time?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am using Vista. Office 2007 was installed at the time of the upgrade, but I uninstalled and reinstalled it again.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 5 years ago.
When you did the uninstall of 2010 did it go smoothly to the best of your knowledge? Could you please go to your control panel and then programs and see if it is still showing 2010 in the list of programs.

yo van get there by Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then clicking Programs and Features.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is not showing up in the control panel; programs. I uninstalled it middle of September and that's when the problem started.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 5 years ago.
The first thing I would like you to try is a system restore. This could correct any files that got damaged during the 2010 uninstall.

To do this click the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking System Tools, and then clicking System Restore.

Pick a restore point which was before the issue started if one exists. Do not worry system restore does not effect your personal files such as email or pictures. It only changes windows operating system files.

If system restore does not work the first time please try and earlier restore date.

If you cannot get system restore to work please download and install the following from microsoft:

If you still cannot launch the program do the following
download this program, it is a better uninstaller than the one within windows and can get rid of left over file and broken uninstalls:

Once downloaded run the program and it will show you all of your programs.

Check carefully and see if Office 2010 is still there, If it is uninstall it with this program.

Also I would suggest you uninstall office 2007 as well.

Once uninstalled restart and you can try reinstalling office 2007 again.

If the above suggestions do not work please reply back to me to let me know. If it does work please click the accept button.

Thank You
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay I did what you said, uninstalled Office and reinstalled it and still come up with the same error message. When I was trying to install it another message "could not install one note driver" came up. I also get an error message when I restarted my computer as to wl startup.exe, windows live essentials and windows live settings failed
Expert:  Chris L. replied 5 years ago.
I will be away from the site for a while today. Going to release the question to other experts. If no one can help I will return a bit later and we can continue.

No need to reply you will recieve an email when an expert is ready for you.

Thank You
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to

I am Tech Specialist and today, I will be trying my best to solve your issue.

Download and Install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package from here:

Check if that corrects the issue? If you are using Vista 64-bit, let me know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I did not get the answer to the error and ended up paying to upgrade to Office 2010