Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

1991 Mercury Topaz 91K miles 2.3 l automatic Issue:

Customer Question

1991 Mercury Topaz 91K miles 2.3 l automatic
Issue: Speedometer reads higher than actual speed. This issue is very apparent during very cold weather such as when about -5F and travelling at ≈65miles/h the speedometer reads past 85m/h pegged all the way. As I drive it gradually drops. In the summer the error is less ≈5m/h
Category: Mercury
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
In addition, the Instrument cluster Gas Gauge reads way past the maximum line, cluster assembly grounding issue?
Should I replace the cluster assembly? My mechanic told me it was most likely the cluster as the sending unit in the tank is probably ok.
I will check for a response tomorrow
Thank you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
vin 1MEPM36X3MK623789
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I have seen internal faults in the instrument cluster itself cause issues like this here needing replaced.If both of these started to act up around the same time most likely it is the cluster itself that needs removed and repaired or replaced to resolve this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your response.
Where could an Instrument cluster for this car be purchased?
Is it reasonable for my mechanic to change the odometer reading to match the current reading?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will check answer tomorrow. What I meant is when my mechanic replaces the instrument cluster is it reasonable to change the odometer reading to match the current value of the old odometer? Since the speedometer reads higher does it also affect the odometer?