A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

I have a Mercury Sable 2003 LS. The car runs until worm up

Customer Question

I have a Mercury Sable 2003 LS . The car runs until worm up then the gage go up from normal and the engine shut off .The compression in cylinders is180. After cool down the car start again . I took the car to the Ford dealer they said the engine coolant temperature sensor no good , i put new one still the same What i have to do ? I asked question 1 month ago . I paid 5 dollars fee.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  A. Penland replied 4 months ago.

Is the engine actually overheating?
Is the problem when it shuts off a crank over by the starter no start or no crank over by the starter?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The gage going up more then half i am not driving more becouse shutting off itself . I stop the car and only time is start again when is cool down . T starter is working very good.

You may be loosing fuel pressure from the fuel pump failing when it heats up. Can you give me the VIN# ***** that I can see what engine your Sable has?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The win number is 1MEHM55S63G604452

Ok, you have the 3.0L DOHC engine. That engine does not have a fuel system test port. The fuel line will have to be disconnected from either the fuel filter under the rear of the vehicle or at the fuel injector fuel rail on top of the engine. The fuel system test will have to be done when the engine will not start. The reason I am looking at a bad fuel pump is because we have seen Taurus and Sables around your year come in for intermittent stalls and crank no starts caused by the fuel pump heating up and stopping fuel pressure to the engine till it cools down. The fuel pump is only an electrical motor. I would like to see proper testing done before the fuel pump is replaced. And if the fuel pump is bad, replace the fuel filter along with the pump.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The fuel pump was changed becouse this problem .I will do all the test what you told me and i write later what happened. Thank you

How long ago was it changed, mileage and date?

Did they replace the fuel pump relay also?