Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs and Ford Certs
7276279

Well i was just driving and my 2001 mercury sable stoped

Customer Question

Well i was just driving and my 2001 mercury sable stoped going forward out of no where and it was driving fine what is this?
JA: Are you fixing your Sable yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Turn it on and try to see if it goes forward or in reverse but nothing happen am mad
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No it turns on fine but it just dnt go foward or backwards. At all and it was driving just fine
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Ron replied 9 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 9 days ago.

The most common cause for the type of problem you are having on your Sable is in most cases caused by an internal failure of the transmission and the common part to fail is the front pump. This usually happens with no warning as well . The PCM (computer) can't cause the transmission to neutralize, but can cause shifting problems. Unfortunately if you have no movement then your looking at a tear down and inspection usually resulting in a replacement and or an overhaul.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I am waiting on an answer please
Expert:  Ron replied 9 days ago.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
what is your recomendation
Expert:  Ron replied 9 days ago.

Your going to need to remove the transmission and have it torn down and inspected which usually results in replacing and or overhauling the transmission.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
i have transmissions problems basically? Where that come from?
Expert:  Ron replied 9 days ago.

Unfortunately yes, you have a transmission that has failed.