George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master 15+ years
13574682

Need Help to Install O Ring on Mercury Power Steering Pump.

Customer Question

While installing a power steering pump on 2004 Mercury Taurus and it said to stretch O ring over end of line before screwing into pump. I stretched O ring over threads and screwed it in and it damaged the O ring.
When I looked online and it says put Teflon seal on but when I get the new O ring where does it go?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  George H. replied 2 months ago.

Hello I will help.

It can be tricky to get the teflon O ring on the pressure hose. You don't want to stretch it too much but you have to get it large enough to get it on.

I like to heat a glass of water in the microwave and put the O ring in for a while to get it hot. While it is soaking I get a small funnel and cut the tip so it is the same size as the nut on the hose nut then slip the O ring on the funnel and work it onto the hose nut. It sits below the hex in the groove at the top of the threads.

Parts stores have a package of two O rings, use the correct size for your nut

Let me know how I can help

Thanks