Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs and Ford Certs
7276279

Got a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis. The air is only coming out

Customer Question

Hey there. Got a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis. The air is only coming out of the front dashboard vents and the floor vents. The A/C is also not working at the moment. Lastly I noticed that the temperature readout on the a/c module is incorrect. Any thoughts as to what might cause this?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Nathan,

Are you working on an electronic system (buttons) or a Manuel system ( knobs)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm working with the electronic system. Looks exactly like this module - http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/drm/599-030/image/4/
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Okay before we do anything can you run the self test on the control panel for me. See the steps to do this in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Self%20test%20Oct%2028.pdf

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It doesn't appear to be doing anything when I follow those instructions
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just kidding I just got it to work. My mistake
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Okay what where the results?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
040 is the only code it has blinking
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

The code 40 indicates you have a Ambient temperature sensor short to ground , this could keep the compressor from running but not effect the air flow. Have you pressure tested the AC system and if so what are you pressure reading?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I haven't yet no. Would you be able to provide me with bit of instruction on performing the test?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Which test do you want to run, I suspect you have two issue here. One being a failing control panel and one being a bad Ambient temperature sensor providing the system is full of Freon and the pressure are right.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I thought the same as far as the control panel. But I'd like to run a test on the pressure test for the a/c system. I just haven't performed it before.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

All you need to do is connect a set of AC gauges to the AC service ports and read the systems pressure. Normal pressure on a full system with the AC off should be right at 100 to 110 on the low side and the high side. Normal pressure on a full system with the compressor running should be right at 35 to 40 PSI on the low side and right at 200 to 210 PSI on the high side.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Alright then. I'll need to get my hands on a Guage before I'm able to test it unfortunately
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Okay Im here if you need me.