Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs and Ford Certs

Replaced the power steering pump on an 05 Mercury Montego a

Replaced the power steering pump on an 05 Mercury Montego a few months ago due to a few years of whining noise. Yesterday, had someone unsucessfully attempt to remove the upper intake manifold to replace plugs and coils. Once they put back together whatever they had disassembled, my power steering noise was back and it's turning hard at low speeds.
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: You must be auto text lol. Yes, whining noise and turning hard at low speeds. Haven't checked fluid yet.
JA: Are you fixing your Montego yourself? What have you tried so far? Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, need to find someone to fix it but want to be educated before I put it in the shop.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Was the power steering okay before they made the repair on the intake?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Replaced the power steering pump a few months ago because of the same whining issue and it was working fine as of yesterday morning. Yesterday afternoon when I got the car back it was whining again and turning hard at low speeds. I haven't checked the fluid. Was trying to find out what may have been disconnected yesterday when I stumbled across this site.

In most cases if the power steering pump is whining its usually caused by trapped air in the system and its likely the problem you are having as well. I would start with making sure the system is full and if so then the system needs to be bled and there is a procedure that needs to be done to assure all the air is removed so the pump will run quite again. I have enclosed the procedure in the link below. Check the fluid level and if it looks okay then I would take the car back to them and have them bled the system properly and you should be okay again.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you!

Your very welcome and thank you as well.