EricFromCT, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master
Experience:  ASE, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel, Kia Professional Elite

Cruise control will not lock in all the time some times it

Customer Question

cruise control will not lock in all the time some times it work the first time you press the switch, other times the cruise light will flash when you press the button but will not lock, the clock spring and the cruise control switch in the steering wheel has been replaced
JA: While using the cruise control can you accelerate or decelerate? Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: when the cruise control locks in it will decelerate and resume
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercury?
Customer: 2004 mercury monterey
JA: Are you fixing your Monterey yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i have replaced the cruise control switch in the steering wheel and replaced the clock spring because the air bag light was on
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 7 days ago.

Hi. There is a switch on the brake master cylinder for brake pressure. If you remove the connector and jump the connector with a wire and then try and see if the cruise works, then let me know.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
that has to be the problem because it engages and disengages every time. Thank you.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 6 days ago.

You are welcome. That switch is the most common cause for cruise control inop. Thank you and please rate my assistance and have a great day.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 3 days ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer and please rate the assistance provided. After rating, the questions stays open for any follow up questions you may have. Thank you.