Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury

FOB was working, then my son did something which he can

FOB was working, then my son did something which he can recall, now the fob doesn't work and we can't get in the drivers door with a key...the left door you can. Check battery in both we are tried the reprogramming,,,but ford states you have to short in the left rear under the panel...can't get in the truck
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercury?
Customer: 2000 v6 cougar
JA: Are you fixing your Cougar yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: tried the fob reprogramming 8 x, within 10 secs/ removed the battery for 1/2 an hour. check battery voltage in fobs..each was 3+ volts
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that is it...oh no way to get in the hatch or drivers door...key works on passenger door, but nothing else
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have found the issue...20 amp fuse to autozone.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

If the fuse does not help, let me know.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The fuse worked for awhile, my assumption is there is a short somewhere. Everything worked until you used the FOB to lock the doors. The drivers door would not lock. Multiple attempts blue the fuse again. Perhaps there is an issue with the driver's door mechanism? I am hoping you have a solution.Brent

If you just use the door lock switch on the door does this cause the fuse to fail?

If so which fuse is failing and in which fuse box.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
the 20AMP yellow fuse under the dash.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Got anything yet?

Step one is to unplug both door lock actuators inside the door then command the locks locked/unlocked multiple times from both switches with the doors open and closed to see if the fuse fails. If the fuse does not fail then plug in one actuator at a time and retest to see which is to blame. If the fuse did fail during this test then you have a wire short to ground most likely in one of the door jams.

This is my 1st answer of what can be many. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. At the top of your screen is the rating box that you only get to use once. Please make sure to complete the mandatory rating when ready or reply and say "I am pleased with my answer". Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way.

Thanks Moose.