Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

The security light is flashing and it won't start. I tried

Customer Question

The security light is flashing and it won't start. I tried the other key. I've disconnected the battery and done everything I know to do to reset the security.
JA: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?
Customer: its flashing
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercury?
Customer: 2008 Milan
JA: Are you fixing your Milan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm trying to get it started to get to a dealership.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: don't think so.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercury
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The owner's manual described turning the key to position 1, 2 and then 3 and to wait 10 minutes until flashing light on dash stopped. I've done all of that. It actually worked and started long enough to drive it home (about 1 mile)...after I shut it off, its doing the same thing again.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Try these steps with those 2 keys you have,

1. Insert a programmed ignition key (can be an IKT or a standard PATS key) into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the key from the OFF position to the ON position.
  2. Leave the key in the ON position for 3 seconds, but not longer than 10 seconds.
  3. Turn the key to the OFF position and remove the first key.
  4. Within 10 seconds of turning the key to the OFF position, insert a second programmed ignition key (can be an IKT or a standard PATS key) into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the key from the OFF position to the ON position.
  5. Leave the key in the ON position for 3 seconds, but not longer than 10 seconds.
  6. Turn the key to the OFF position and remove the second key.
  7. Within 20 seconds of turning the key to the OFF position, insert the unprogrammed ignition key (new PATS or IKT key) into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the key from the OFF position to the ON position. Leave the key in the ON position for a minimum of 6 seconds (this additional 3 second time frame allows for the RKE data transfer to take place, if programming an IKT key).
  8. NOTE: The new key will now start the vehicle and will also operate the RKE functions, if there are 4 or fewer IKT keys programmed to the vehicle (if it is an IKT key).

9. Attempt to start the vehicle.
  10. If additional programmed keys are desired, repeat Steps 1-7.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the info...I followed the steps provided and did not get the vehicle started and the security light is still flashing. Do you have any further suggestions?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

not without the use of a scan tool. do you have one or access to one?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No sir...I'll have to get it to a dealership.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

I suppose so. Don't forget to rate me.