roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years of retail operations on all vehicles
3506196

Heya - I have a mercury mountaineer premier, 2004. Has a

Customer Question

Heya Chris - I have a mercury mountaineer premier, 2004. Has a little over 140k miles on it. Have had few problems with it, paid for, and have owned for about 10 years. New tires in 2016, new fuel pump in 2013...tests it Nothing leaking, no weird warnings, nothing flashing at me from the info/system aree on the dash. No warning lights on. All is right as rain....
The other day (as in two MONTHS ago) I'm exiting the 170 freeway in Los Angeles, the car makes this LOUD banging noise...like something fell off (nothing did). It came to a complete stop right there 1/2 way down the ramp. Awesome place for that to happen...
It didn't shut off..it just stopped moving..instantly. It turns on, and there's nothing it doing or not doing that's abnormal. But, when u turn it on, and then thy to shift AND Go....nothing. No goes anywhere at all...nowhere makes a super loud ...screeching sound..like metal on really loud obnoxious metal, and it's a horrible sound ... I can shift, listen to stereo... can do everything ..but shift into gear or get the car to move...soooo , turn those on...and....nope. When we e tried to push it during Mechanic ( I mean "mechanic") keeps it for a month, has done nothing, told my boss (her mechanic) that he thinks it's the tranny or the transfer case...says 609 bucks to fix...but still didn't look at it ...finally does look at it and comes back with "I think it's the transfer case, but if it's not then it's the transmission." And then he says 900 bucks and if he's wrong...I'm still paying the 900 and it still won't work and I'm back at square one. I told him that was the dumbest "f%#]*£€" answer I've ever gotten from a mechanic...now they bug me to tow it away, so it's not sitting across the street, where they have no say in parking, .......ok yes....I know I'm off track cuz, well,they suck....
So...?!!!? I was debating trading it in cuz of the gas mileage but this problem has earned me one offer - 500. Bucks. I'd rather find out what the problem actually is...fix it if it's reasonable and trade it for the 4-5 grand I can trade it in for when itt actually runs....heard of this problem, or what would you recommend I do next.? Are there any DIY things I can do to either tap into the computer ...or see these error codes I read about on here but have no idea where they come up on/in the rig. Thanks, ***** ***** fingers you say, bad fuse, blue one on the left. 1.99 at rite aid
Category: Mercury
Expert:  roybelding replied 2 months ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

removing from there is a good idea. they dont know what they are doing. you need a shop that knows what they are doing.

as far as the noise, the transfer case is a common failure. if the oil was low or the chain may have failed resulting in the noise. it should not take more than 1 hour to determine whether the case or the trans has failed.

Roy

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Actually had an oil leak not long before, but had it fixed, changed, was fine...chain a separate issue? What do you think about cost? You're right, they have no clue...but I don't really either. When it comes to that . Tanks Roy

it would have to be removed and inspected to see if it is worth repairing it or replacing the transfer case.

I bet it will need to be replaced. cost??

used around 800-900

rebuilt 1200-1500

Roy

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Expert:  roybelding replied 1 month ago.

Roy

Roy