Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles

Changed headgasket but engine won't turn over? Starter

Customer Question

Changed headgasket but engine won't turn over ? Starter smokes ? What wrong happened?
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 24 days ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer. ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also give you all of the information you may need in good faith expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Did you remove the coolant from the cylinders? Can you crank engine manually?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I did remove the coolant. I tried turning engine over manually but it's so hard at once it spun a half turn then stopped
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 24 days ago.

Have you removed the belt and see if it turns easier?

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 24 days ago.

There is a very good chance that the water pump is seized which caused the head gasket failure,

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
It over heated due to broken hise or low water I guess. When I pulled over it was steaming then engine turned off.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Timing belt ? Or regular belt ?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 24 days ago.

Regular belt

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
On this engine is there special tool needed to turn the engine over ? I put socket on the bolt for the main pully and it doesn't seem to help it gets tighten but I'm afraid if I keep tightening it'll break ?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 19 days ago.

Sounds like your engine in seized up