Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

Just noticed a low humming/ growling noise from the front.

Customer Question

just noticed a low humming/ growling noise from the front. more pronounced during deceleration.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercury?
Customer: 2007 montego
JA: Are you fixing your Montego yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, tires are 6 months old, brakes are good, transmission fluid ok, shifting is normal. I almost want to say wheel bearing but no grinding feel at all.
JA: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?
Customer: just checked it . level is fine not burnt, 100k miles on it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: dont think so.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Find an open parking lot or wide back road where you can get some speed and make long sweeping turns to load up the suspension heavy on the left and right in the turns. If this does not make the noise come and go then its not the wheel bearings. That leads me to wanting to run the vehicle in the air and use a stethoscope to listen to the power transfer unit if AWD or the right front carrier bearing if FWD.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris