A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician

The left turn blinks rapidly while the right turn signal

Customer Question

The left turn flasher blinks rapidly while the right turn signal flashes normally. All the lights are working.
JA: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: Wouldned the flasher not work at all if the fuse was bad?
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercury?
Customer: 2003 grand marquis
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Marquis yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: All I have done so far is make sure all the lights are ok.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there a charge for his assistance?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Mercury Mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: Thank you very much but I believe I'll do some more checking and if need be will get back to you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 month ago.

Please, double check all the bulbs for the turn signals left to right. Stand in front of the vehicle and watch the right turn signal bulbs and then watch the left. You have one bulb on the left that is not working causing the left to flash quicker than the right.

Especially the rear tail lights.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You may not have picked up on my comment about having confirmed that all the lights work, I rechecked per your request and confirmed again that all the lights work. Is it possible that there could be a problem with the flasher itself? I know that would seem unlikely but I'm grasping at straws now. The flashers go for about $30 so I don't want to just change it on a hunch.

There are no flashers in the 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis. All the lights in the vehicle, including the dome lights and the dash lights, are controlled by the LCM (Lighting Control Module).

There is a recall out for the LCM, if you can give me the VIN#, I can check Fords database with you VIN# ***** see if your vehicle is part of the recall. I will also need the mileage.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We may be getting somewhere now. The vin# ***** ***** I have my fingers crossed.

Ok, there is an LCM recall on your 2003 Grand Marquis, actually 2 that pertain to the LCM. See the links below which also includes the Ford OASIS report on your vehicle.

I know they talk about the headlights, but if other lights are out, it will fall into the same category for lights. As long as the dealership you go to follows the recall.