Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs and Ford Certs
7276279

Yesterday morning I got in it and started it as I normally

Customer Question

Good morning. Yesterday morning I got in it and started it as I normally due however it would not stay running so I attempted to start it again and again it almost immediately died.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Everything electronically based is working fine, so no I didn't.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercury?
Customer: 2006 Mercury Gran Marquis
JA: Are you fixing your Marquis yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My husband seems to think he can fix it, he believes it is the fuel pump so all I've done is look up pricing on the pump.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The car has 150k miles on it, my parents just gave it to me about a month ago they have always maintained the car. They had to have the heater assembly replaced about three yrs ago but now the unit won't blow hot air(not sure if this is relevant) Also at 90k miles they had a the plugs and fuel filter replaced.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

The problem may very well be a failing fuel pump but before You have your husband replace it it would be a good idea to run a fuel pressure test while the problem is occurring. Normal fuel pressure on a properly working pump should be right at 25 to 40 PSI. If the pump fails the pressure test and he wants to replace it I can provide the steps to do so as well. Let me know and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you Ron, I will pass on the info.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

If you need the fuel pump replacement steps I have enclosed them in the link below. Let me know if you have more questions or need more help and we can work from there.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Fuel%20pump%20Sept%2013.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Fuel%20tank%20Sept%2013.pdf