Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

Doesn't shift out of park while running, not sure just got

Customer Question

doesn't shift out of park while running
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: not sure just got it in a trade and it doesn't seem to be leaking anywhere
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercury?
Customer: 2000 mountaineer
JA: Are you fixing your Mountaineer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just want to know what the problem is, and ifs an easy fix or not
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.
  1. Disconnect negative battery cable. Remove battery-to-starter relay cable and wait one minute for back-up power supply to dissipate. Ensure front wheels are in straight-ahead position. Mark steering wheel position for installation reference. Remove steering wheel. Remove screws holding parking brake handle and secure handle aside.
  2. Remove screws for hood release and secure release aside. Remove 2 screws for lower instrument panel column cover. Remove 4 screws securing lower instrument panel reinforcement panel. Remove ignition switch electrical connector bolt and disconnect connector. Disconnect remaining electrical connectors to steering column components.
  3. Remove transmission range indicator bolt and disconnect indicator cable from bracket. Disconnect shift interlock solenoid connector. Remove lower steering column shroud. Insert key in ignition lock and turn ignition on. Using screwdriver, pry upward on ignition cylinder lock and remove ignition lock from upper steering column shroud.
  4. If necessary, remove air bag sliding contact from steering column. Remove upper intermediate steering shaft-to-column shaft bolt. Remove 2 lower steering column nuts. Remove 2 steering column support bracket nuts, bracket and steering column.
  5. Remove 3 bolts securing shift interlock solenoid and insert plate. See Fig 3. Remove clip securing insert plate to solenoid and discard. This clip is used to aid in initial assembly and is not required during reassembly.
  6. To install, reverse removal procedure. Tighten all bolts and nuts to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS .
  7. Fig 3: Removing Shift Interlock Solenoid

Courtesy of FORD MOTOR CO.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. If I am not giving you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks,

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

I do not get compensated for my time and resources unless you rate me.

Thanks